1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ORWO Stash !!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by PeteE, Sep 2, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

YO !!! What a GIFT !! A Kind Gent sent me this all the way from Denmark as he read on a Forum that I was so 'sad' that I had no more 1993 120 NP22 left and all my 35mm ORWO had long gone! Although dated 1992 I tested both NP22 and NP20 and it came out well in my 'Home-Made FX-4 Formula 1+1 ' -- I gave both short lengths 7.45 mins @ 20°C and hoped -- result was NP22 'softer' so needs more Dev Time but NP20 just right and I gave both films Half a Stop more exposure, Both needed a full stop more exposure to a Sunpak auto 36FD electronic flash.
    [​IMG]ORWO Stash by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I used an ORWO NP22 in an old Canon FTbn which I had not used for a while and rated it at 100 ASA and went around Brentwood . I sent a set to DENMARK to the Kind Donor so he could see a typical English Town, Buses etc . i used my Home-Made FX-4 Formula 1+1 for 8 mins @ 20°C and got good negs to scan with Canon 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + PhotoShop 7
    Brentwood 04.jpg
    Brentwood 02.jpg
    Brentwood 05.jpg

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty damn decent gift, Pete!

Adrian

4. JMK

JMK Active Member

Connected with ORWO but not your windfall (ORWO stood for, so I believe. (Original Wolfun) This was where it was made.

When I was in the Army back in the late 70's we were banned from using it, because to have it processed it was necessary to send it to the laboratory, who also had part of their business in the former Eastern Germany. It was known that processed ORWO film used by western servicemen was then copied and taken to their German masters in East Berlin hoping it contained anything of use to their masters in the former USSR.

5. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

To be slightly pedantic - Original Wolfen.

Apart from that, I once had some 'own name' slide film from a german store. Isuspect it was actually OrwoChrom ....it was awful!

Lynn

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

JMK --- I think you must have using the COLOUR ORWOCHROME that had to be sent to East Germany as the B&W could be done in usual developers such as Rodinal. D76 etc
    i used ORWOCHROME with some success until i ordered 100 cassettes frlom British Supplier in Redhill, and they all had a very BLUE colour cast as teh film had not been 'Aged' long enough. I even had sent to me a couple of 'Test' 120 Rollfilms ORWOCHROME and I belonged to the 'Praktica Club'
    ORWOCHROME 120 size on my 1971 Pentacon Six
    [​IMG]EASTER CHICKS by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. JMK

JMK Active Member

Yes it was dreadful. The colours whilst not being that accurate were hideously garish as well. I still have some slides which must be the best part of 45 years old and whilst they still have not faded they serve to remind me how bad it was. If I remember correctly how I came by it was after leaving the armed forces I went back on holiday and ran out of whatever I was using at the time, possibly Agfa and had to buy some to get me over until I got home. (I hope the STASI enjoyed my slides of Bavaria and Neuschwanstein Castle):)

Sorry Wolfen it is, I would like to say it was a typo - but no - just my bad spelling!

8. JMK

JMK Active Member

The colour cast could be down to the East German Customs/mail. Anything almost, sent from the west was hit with high doses of X Rays before being allowed in. Even the Autobahn check point between the east and west at Helmstedt, everything on wheels was stopped, and given quite high doses of X Rays, even vehicles containing people.

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Breaking News !! Today a 'packet' dropped through letterbox addressed to me -- it had same mail mark as before from Denmark -- it contained 6 rolls ORWO NP22 120 size dated 1992 and 2 rolls 120 size Russian 'Svema FN 64' 120 size from the Kind Donor Gent in Denmark -- note said it was found in the freezer and his Wife is very pleased to have the space !
    I will give it all a 'Good Home' !

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

You're a good dad, Pete :)

Cheers,

Jack

Zou likes this.