1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orwo is back

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by steveandthedogs, May 1, 2022.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  2. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

If I were to launch a new range of films I would at least insist the photographs published on my web site had all the dust and small hairs spotted out.
    Anyway as I still have a few years supply of outdated original APX 100 and 400 I don't suppose I will be pre ordering any but thank you for the heads up Steve.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed that and was a bit unimpressed, but it is trying I suppose.

S

4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Shame they haven't brought back their slide film. It was process paid, and had to be because it needed such an outdated process that only they had the chemicals.

If nothing else it made a good test for a camera's metering: even compared to other slide films it had minimal exposure latitude, so if you got a decent exposure out of it you knew your camera was fine.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I still have a roll of 36-exp process-paid Orwochrome "slides" in my fridge. Wonder what happens if I were to expose it and post it in .......

zx9r likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

What on earth does "professionally finished" mean in this context?

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

UT-18 and UT-21, the numbers relating to their DIN film speeds - 50 and 100 ASA respectively.
    Pretty unique colour palates. They would actually reproduce an autumnal blue sky as sky blue, which most films of the time wouldn't. I used them a fair bit in the very early 80s as they were very cheap, and I could buy them at the rather marvellous Co-Op Camera Centre in Leeds (where I also got my 50p Halina Disk camera i mentioned the other day - they had a couple of wonderful oddments trays...)
    I then moved on to Barfen E4 and shortly after E6 films mail order from the back of AP, before finding Sakurachrome, later rebounded as the Konica that it was, also from the Co-Op, all of which I developed myself.
    But Orwo in late autumn or winter sunshine was quite unlike anything else. As with Disk film, I wish I could use it with what I know now.

zx9r likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed it is, in the sense that my chemistry teacher used it of my grasp of theory! :D

The whole site makes me think that there's a lot of pious hopes there but not necessarily much substance :(

zx9r likes this.
  9. PentaxManiac

I think I remember that place in Leeds. If it's the one I'm thinking of it was just across the street from where I bought my first real camera back in 1986 - if a Zenit can be called a real camera. That was in one of those great old second-hand shops there used to be loads of in those days. Not just cameras but everything from musical instruments to guns.

10. PentaxManiac

You inspired me to look into this. I used this film beck in the late 1980s, but looking through some old APs I found it being advertised as late as November 1991. The exclusive UK dealer was at 577 Kingston Road, Raynes Park London SW20. Streetmap shows this address as a church currently being built, so Bymail Ltd would appear to be long gone and their premises demolished,

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Got my Zorki from that place, and a Topcon IC1.....

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Soviet Union started many a capitalist photographer on his or her way. I was quite taken with the Zenit 3m, myself, though I never owned one.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've never owned a 3m either, always fancied one, or better still an original Zenit or a Zenit S. I've owned a lot of later models - my first SLR was an E, and I've a slew of Bs, Es, EMs and TTLs, mostly bought as job lots for one specific piece. What with Zenits, the odd FED, Zorki and Kiev, and Prakticas, a Smena and so on. and Orwo film, I was very well set up for Iron Curtain photography back in the day.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. PentaxManiac

My latest eBay bidding victory should be with me this week: a Praktica for snobs, the Carl Zeiss Jenaflex AC1. In reality a Praktica BCA, but without the Praktica name on it. People see the word "Zeiss" and are more impressed.

steveandthedogs and Benchista like this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got the Jenaflex AM-1, which is a badge engineered BC-1 with a bit of a grip extension. I'm really fond of it, both for the rather amusing snob value, but actually because I really like the BC-1, and the grip extension improves the handling very slightly. Sure, it's nothing special in spec terms, a very typical compact aperture priority/manual SLR, but I think it's a surprisingly good one. Feels pretty well made and well designed, and I rate it as one of the most enjoyable cameras of its type to use - in fact the only one I like better is the Contax 139 Quartz.
    The AC-1 is the only common - sorry, can't call a Zeiss camera common, I mean readily-available B mount camera I've not owned. ;)

16. james6

james6 Well-Known Member

I can remember an AP guest journalist doing a write up on the BC1 [Ron Spillman?]. He said the 1.8 50mm standard was one of the finest lens he'd ever come across.