1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Orangutans - not sure about these....

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by daveben, Sep 6, 2015.

1. daveben

daveben Well-Known Member

Hi,

Took these at Durrell Wildlife Park in Jersey. The light, although very nice, was pretty dim and concentrated in small areas. So I upped the ISO, turned down the exposure compensation (to keep the backgrounds dark) and waited for the orangutans to position themselves in the localised light. Unfortunately, the glass was also smeared with vast amounts of slobber which I've had only limited success minimising in post processing.

So, do you think these still work, or has the combination of slow shutter speed, high ISO, and slobbery glass spoiled them?

Thanks

Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think the first one is a bit of a mess with the big orange splodge, but the remaining three have a dreamy quality about them. If you went B&W you'd have something that Julia Margaret Cameron would probably have appreciated.

Terry Pratchett meets Julia Margaret Cameron. Now there's a genre!

Adrian

3. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

the glass does distract a bit from them. but how many of us will get the chance to photograph without the glass. H&S has gone mad now. when I was a kid you could touch the animals in the zoo.

still nice shots that have feeling about them.

4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Spoiled them? No. It's very difficult to tell anyway without seeing a larger version. They look fine at small size but maybe would appear a bit soft or noisy at A4, only you can tell that.

It's very difficult to shoot this kind of image. I know as I do a similar style of animal portraiture when I get the chance.

The last of these is the winner for me, a charming shot. I'd be tempted to clone out the couple of bits of straw. It's centred on the parent too - I think a a little shift of the camera to the left would have resulted in a better composition. I do hope the focus is on the eye and that it stands up to a larger version.