1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online maps

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm using Firefox on a Win XP (& SP3) machine (just in case this makes a difference).

2 queries:

1) I frequently make use of print-outs from Google Maps for providing my partner/navigator with detailed street plans for our destinations. For these, I use the "Map" rather than the "Satellite" option. One major problem is that these maps aren't that easy to read in the car, and I'm wondering whether other users have found a simple way round this, other than taking into Photoshop etc.

2) Trying to find a concert venue last night was quite difficult as the church we were aiming for turned out to be some distance from where shown on Google Maps. Checking the satellite imagery this morning showed the church to be where we found it - is there any easy way to advise Google of their error on their maps database? (I don't think the error was due to people uploading images from phones and similar)
    ------

I've also now discovered Bing Maps, and the rotatable Aerial Bird's Eye view can be quite interesting. It's a bit weird to see two white vans parked in my driveway when I only have a car, which isn't shown. I hope I know the explanation - tradesmen working for my neighbour when we were touring abroad last August.

2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I sometimes use Google maps but haven't had the problem of inaccuracy so far. Having said that I just checked their map for my village and find an odd thing. The words "primary school" are in entirely the wrong place but the little blue dot (you hover the cursor over it and an info box pops up) is in the correct place for the school.

Equally the church isn't shown other than by the 'blue dot' and that's maybe 100 yards wrong. Makes no odds in our small village but in a town it could be confusing.

Sorry I don't know how to correct them.

Finally I can't resist saying that I have the problem vary very rarely because I use a SatNav. (Bet you were just waiting for someone to say that ;))

MickLL

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've been using a Garmin GPS in the car for around 20 years, so I (nearly) always know where I am, but sometimes don't know where to go!

Whenever I get near to a SatNav in Comets or wherever, I tend now to feel intimidated - the displays and info provided don't seem to answer the queries I have.

4. MarchHare

MarchHare Well-Known Member

Last August? That's pretty up-to-date, a view of my property shows a red LADA in the drive. That was over seven years ago.

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

My local Halfords seems to have folk that really know their stuff as far as SatNavs are concerned. At least they have always been able to answer my questions.Of course your questions might be more difficult. ;)

MickLL

6. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

You could always print out the map view as you do now, look at the satellite view on screen and use a pen to mark on the paper version a more exact location.

7. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

I find Google earth handy in circumstances where there isn't quite enough data to pin point with GPS. I've also had a case where my Garmin said the postcode I was going to didn't exist and another where it said the postcode was in a totally different place!!