1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onich bay

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Not big fan of shooting directly in to the sun but whilst waiting for it to dip behind the mountain it would have been rude not to crack a few exposures off. This was taken before the shot I posted earlier which was what I was originally looking for.
    There's a few niggles with this one but I'll keep them to myself for now to see if others see what I see.
    Please feel free to offer any critique.
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The area where the light hits the water in the foreground is just delightful, but to the left of that there's not much going on. I like that you have retained the shadows and not gone with crazy saturation. It's a very pleasing image, but not up there with your best.

In your other shot - http://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/12018755706/ - the water is much better (for me) and whilst you did clearly lift the shadows, you managed to still keep it sensible whilst opening up a tad more detail. Some will prefer this thread's image on grounds of realism, but not me.

3. Helander

Thank you Zou San for your thoughtful, concise and precise insight, it's always useful and always appreciated.
    I've had a bit off the left hand side but then it felt unbalanced to me. I wanted to keep it landscape format as much as possible so taking some off the left I felt it needed some off the bottom but it wouldn't balance and didn't want to lose any of the gorgeous light from the bottom.
    Agree the light in the foreground is rather tasty and brought a wee smile to my face when processing. The saturation slider has been up and down more times than a certain persons knickers. I'm not a fan of big bold bright colour so settled on something slightly muted. It's also been warmed up a fair bit as the in shot WB was very cold and brittle looking.

Cheers Zou San

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Do you have another shot angled more to the right? I looked at a squarish crop but the rh rocks were too truncated. The more I think about it though they are perhaps still a bit truncated as shot, hence wondering if you have another frame?

I always find it tricky to compose in these kind of low light levels as the shadows in the viewfinder make it hard to distinguish content like rocks/details and to see if they are heading out of frame or sit comfortably within.

5. Helander

I have other shots looking along the coast to the right but these were taken much earlier when the light was bland only to gauge what shutter speed was needed to get the flows right for when the light did get better.
    Regards viewfinder, I usually prefer to use this over live view as it's easier to concentrate on the picture without any distractions but did jump to live view when it became darker.

I'm not too fussed over this picture as it was really just an exercise as coastal shots is something I'd like to do more of. I enjoy how the foreground evolves as the tide rushes in, it's a challenge to find the right foreground quickly and work fast before the tide takes it away.

6. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

As with pretty much all of your shots there is much that I like about it. The sun clipping the rocks in the foreground is delightful. Just the right amount of 'milkyness' in the water for my tastes too.

On the downside, sorry, the blurred water in the very bottom left corner looks like a smudge or a bad clone than anything else. And perhaps a bit of blocking in the shadows in the trees on the far right side. But to be honest I'm being very picky and also to challenge myself as you mentioned there are some elements which you don't like. Have I spotted them :).

7. Helander

Thanks Alan, cut to the chase, those weren't my niggles. :)
    But you have highlighted a couple of others now...lol.
    There is a tiny patch of blown highlights about 4 pixels across but no blocked shadows. Not that blocked shadows are an issue, not everything has to have detail, some blocking up can add a little mood and mystery. :)
    The bottom left hand corner looks okay on the larger file here but could see how it could look like a bad clone in the smaller low rez version.
    No need to apologise for giving critique, I'd rather you were brutally honest than not. Would be pointless otherwise.
    Cheers

8. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Point taken Scott. Having viewed the large file (which I should do more before engaging mouth/fingers :rolleyes:, there is some nice detail in the trees, also the same for the bottom left corner.

I'm still learning this game and do still feel a bit of a fraud critiquing pictures from more experienced peeps than me.

9. Helander

Not at all Alan, everyone's opinion is very valid regardless of experience or skill. I'm learning too, the reason I find this gallery so damn useful. :)

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This doesn't look like one of your shots, which generally have an elegant simplicity and cleanness; it's a bit too busy, and it's that bottom left corner that just doesn't work for me even on the larger image; I think shutter speed is just in the wrong area - shorter or longer would've helped. Think it might be a shot where more sky might work better than more loch, perhaps?

11. Helander

Think you're right there Nick, there's just too much packed in to one shot. Now that the bottom left corner has been mentioned twice it's really bugging me now as well...lol.
    Have to admit to finding it really difficult to get the exposure right in these type of shots. I know what I want to achieve but struggle to do it.

12. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

It does seem slightly unbalanced but it's still a very nice shot and I think most people would be pleased with it. If I were shooting this I might have gone for slightly more shore (hopefully to fill some space in the bottom left) and less sky. If you crop some of the sky it seems to improve the composition a bit.

13. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

don't know if this will be of any help,[easier said than done]
    but i was thinking just water and shore line ,love the light on the water.

14. amans1ngh

amans1ngh Member

I just been browsing through your photographs, at first glance the scenery in your images are so peaceful and relaxing. I love the effects you have also.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014