1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'one of the greatest colour images ever captured by a camera’

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Paul M, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Theres a gallery of Brian Griffin images on The Guardian website to promote his new autobiography 'Black Country DADA' which includes his image taken for Depeche Mode's A Broken Frame album cover which he claims,

‘In what seemed like five minutes the sky changed and the sun broke through. Quickly we took a Polaroid, looked at it and almost fainted with shock and delight. We were witnessing an incredible image that would become one of the greatest colour images ever captured by a camera’

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ian-griffin-photographs-kate-bush-in-pictures

Not for me even one of the greatest album covers ever - but different strokes and all that.

There's also an exhibition and you can register for an Artist Talk session for free.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wonder if these self publicists ever fall into the pit of believing their own claims? :p

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well you believe his claim, surely?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

the colour shot is certainly beautifully lit and composed.
    But why is the model caught in the middle of a golf swing with a sickle?
    More than incongruous.:(

5. Andrew Flannigan

Yes, errr, no. :confused:

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Downright weird. At least they seem to have stopped demanding a donation to view the page.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Surely, every picture ever taken is one of the greatest? Or are there now scales of greatness? :cool:

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The words head, up,own and arse come to mind. Striking, yes. Greatest photo ever? Hmm.

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

In fairness, despite it probably not being the best photo ever taken, and despite not seeing that album cover for many years, I knew from reading the OP which photo he was on about, so it must have something that made me remember it.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The fact that it was the only one in colour probably helped. ;)

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No I mean I could picture the album cover in my mind before I opened the link.

Benchista likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Ah, Grasshopper. Each scale of greatness is only one step along the everlasting path to understanding. :oops:

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I tend to wonder whether they are trying to convince themselves rather than everyone else!