1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of the first

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Col. Hogan, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

One of my first 8x10 shots:

[​IMG]

My intent is to burn in the sky a bit, but I haven't gotten that far.

Diane /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Nice template Diane. As you say, a bit more work burning in the sky detail and you'll be there. Well done!

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

3. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

4. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

It is a nice image and does need some sky detail, buty also it looks a little soft.

I don't do people!

5. Col. Hogan

The sky was a bit cloudy that day. I shot it at f/40 (or whatever the real f/number is just to the left of f/45) for 1/2 sec. Just enough time for the lake to look soft. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif No, you're right it is soft. I need to work on my technique a bit more. Thanks for looking though.

6. Larry Shone

It may be down to the scanning Diane.I mean at f 45 there should be no softness at all. But then what is the equivalent f no. in 35mm terms?

I don't do people!

7. Col. Hogan

Unfortunately, I can't scan directly from the negative. I think I am having a few problems getting front to back sharpness, as I've seen in some of my other negatives (some with lots of tree branches in them) recently. I will be working on improving my technique over the next few months, even if it's setting up in the living room and just practicing on focusing.

Ask Huw what the equivalent f/no. is in 35 mm terms. I have no idea and don't really care what it is.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But then what is the equivalent f no. in 35mm terms? - you've lost me there, Larry.

Nick BSRIPN
    All I got is a photograph - and it's not enough.

9. Larry Shone

well, on LF the lens goes all the way to, and beyond sometimes, f45, yet on 35mm lenses only go to f22 or 32. So i thought that the numbers dont correlate exactly.

I don't do people!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup, the whole idea of relative aperture is that they DO correlate. But you don't get the same depth of field with the size lenses you use in LF compared to ones with the same angle of view in 35mm, so you have to stop down more - so they give you more stops.

Nick BSRIPN
    All I got is a photograph - and it's not enough.

11. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well an f-number is an f-number, regardless of format. It is equal to the focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture, so it means the same no matter what camera you use. However, DoF changes dramatically with format, so that f/45 on an 8x10 camera will not get you anything like as much DoF as the same aperture on a lens for a 35mm camera which had the same angle of view.

It depends on how you crop the formats as to how exactly they compare, but if you crop 35mm to 8x10 proportions, then f/45 on an 8x10 camera gives you about the same DoF as f/5.6 on 35mm, for the same angle of view. In other words, 35mm has about 6 stops more DoF than 8x10, in those circumstances.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

12. Larry Shone

Yea it all makes sense now, see my 75-300 goes to f45 at the 300 end!

I don't do people!

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Indeed - although you'd be well advised not to use it at that aperture, unless you were absolutely desperate for DoF. Diffraction will severely limit performance at f/45.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

14. Larry Shone

Well, i have taken a few at that aperture and was quite impressed by the qwuality for such a cheap lens!
    Tripod mounted pics of ice in a field!

I don't do people!

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well at f/45 diffraction limits the obtainable resolution to about 35 lpmm for any lens (no matter how good), which is extremely poor by normal 35mm standards. Although certainly some cheap and nasty third party zooms might actually be that bad at more normal apertures, but they would definitely be lenses to avoid.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

16. eryri

eryri Well-Known Member

Ooooo......... Luverly Jubley. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

You've set me thinking now; 10x8 Provia trannies............../img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Steve
    http://www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

17. Col. Hogan

Trust me, Steve, as I stood there looking at this scene, I was wishing I had color slide film!

18. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

19. Col. Hogan

Thanks. I'm hoping to work on it in the darkroom next week. If I like what I get, I'll post it here.

20. Larry Shone

well this lens is canons 75-300 II USM, quite a nice performer! I once had a nasty CZJ 75-300 which was absolute crap!(Yet their 24mm was lovely!)

I don't do people!