1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Camera To Suit All My Needs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Watty, May 19, 2021.

1. Watty

Watty Active Member

In my dreams, one day such a thing may exist ?

I’m still getting to grips with my recent Nikon D850 purchase, however due to a new job, I haven’t been able to spend as much time as I would have liked with it. It’s mainly being used for general outdoor photography, including landscapes and wildlife.

The new job is a Ranger for a loch in SW Scotland and day to day pics are from my iPhone X, as much of what I’m doing stops me carrying the Nikon around with me.

I also do a lot of sea kayaking in my spare time and love being out in rougher conditions, where I rely on a GoPro, shooting short bursts of video and taking stills from the footage. Those conditions are not always suited to taking my hands off the paddle, taking the Nikon out of a dry bag and firing a few photographs !

Putting lower quality stuff out on social media is fine for work and socially, but when it comes to enlargements, I can only go so far, so I’d like someone to invent a fully waterproof, small, lightweight, deck mountable, DSLR quality action video & still camera.

Ps, the Nikon and its lenses will rarely come out to sea with me, only if I know I will be landing somewhere special enough to need it.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Definitely not my dream. I like having lots of cameras to chose from. When I get a little stale with one, I pick up another to recharge. :D

Watty likes this.
  3. Watty

Watty Active Member

I’m liking the idea of that, but my wife wouldn’t be so understanding

John Farrell likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Be careful your quest doesn't lead you to Mordor!

Watty and John Farrell like this.
  5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

One Ring to Rule Them All did come to mind when I saw the thread title...

Watty likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

M42 or another 'universal' system? Adaptall?

Fellowship of the 4/3 alliance or even L mount doesn't have quite the same catchiness...

Watty likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Work and play don’t necessarily mix - cameras were forbidden where I worked - but a decent compact should fit an outdoor working clothes pocket.

Watty likes this.
  8. Watty

Watty Active Member

Loving the ‘Lordly’ replies :cool:

John Farrell likes this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You could try an Olympus TG5 or TG6, not interchangeable lenses but waterproof, shockproof and fairly compact. You can even add a floating strap if you really want to

Watty likes this.
  10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

11. Watty

Watty Active Member

Fortunately the Trust that have employed my services are keen for me to promote the new role and the loch too, so lots going out on social media and my phone is fine for that level of quality.

Zou likes this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not sure how 'commercial' your shots will be but perhaps worth checking terms of ownership. Strictly speaking per my contract at the hotel I used to work in anything I created on the job (including photos, documents, templates etc.) became the property of the company. But then they were a bunch of blood-sucking leeches. :)

Watty likes this.
  13. Watty

Watty Active Member

Thanks for those links Don, that salty case looks superb, as does Ross’s photography. I think I’ll be checking in there regularly.

You’re correct though, the size of that case and the weight of the D850 wouldn’t work on my sea kayak. I imagine it would be like the self righting life boat principle, with all of the weight in the keel..... in reverse..... which doesn’t bode well for an air breather ;)

ascu75 and Zou like this.
  14. Watty

Watty Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look in to that. I just signed the contract this week and this was not mentioned, so I’m guessing it’s not something either side considered.

Zou likes this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

cxx cvbnm,
    That is pretty normal. It didn't stop me from making copies of many of the files I created because, in aviation, things can come back and bite you even many years later.

Watty likes this.
  16. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

They may well have considered it. In the UK if you produce copyright work in the course of your employment then, in the absence of enforceable agreement to the contrary, copyright is owned by the employer not the employee. The position is different for contractors who are employed under a contract for services rather than under a contract of service. Many employment contracts spell out that intellectual property produced is owned by the employer for various reasons but that does not detract from the default position that copyright work produced in the course of your emploment belongs to your employer. Reasons can include:
    - Simply clarifying the position so there are no arguments later.
    - Covering any doubt as to whether an individual is an employee or a contractor.
    - To cover forms of intellectual property other than copyright such as patent where the default position is different.
    - To cover the grey area as to was the work produced in the course of your employment or not. E.g. If your job description did not specify taking publicity shots but you decided to take a camera for your own pleasure would any shots taken be so taken in the course of your employment and could you claim you were on a lunch (or other) break when you took them? Quite a number of years ago Edinburgh University decided if any employye or contractor produced anything worth money using its facilities then it wanted the profits and so changed its contracts such that even if someone did private unpaid work on Uni premises, say in evenings or at weekends outside of work hours, The Uni still owned any IPR.

Trade Unions and outfits like citizen's advice can provided specific advice.

Watty likes this.
  17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It's called a GoPro isn't it?

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

DSLR quality?

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That would depend on the image and the use to which it was put. I've been happy with the output from very small sensors in a lot of cases. Image from a Sony HX90...

Blackbird maximum zoom Sony HX90 DSC00169.JPG

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

GoPro produce some fantastic images. I was very dubious of them but I have seen stalls taken from video blown up to A3 and faultless so I had to eat humble pie :D

Andrew Flannigan likes this.