1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

on a whim

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by jas1500, May 2, 2011.

1. jas1500

jas1500 New Member

Hi all, I woke up this morning with an urge to by a new camera with no knowledge and without any research I decided to have a look to see what my local curry's had to offer. with no intention of purchasing I ended up falling for the salesmans pitch and coming home with what he said was an ideal beginers camera of which being the Canon 1000d which i paid £335 for. After getting home and playing around with it the first pitfall i have found is that it doesn't record movies which i think is quite handy on a camera. what have i gone and done?! hopefully i haven't wasted my money!!
    All thoughts/suggestions are very welcome.

thanks all, Jason.

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Firstly, welcome to the AP Forums.

Secondly... My suggestion would be, take it back, get a refund and then do some research on what you want to buy.

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :)

The 1000 is a great beginner camera, but if you feel you'll be needing the video mode more than a handful of times then you'll need to refund and research. Video mode is something you'll be paying extra for, and its something not everyone finds they need.

Video in SLR cameras is very new technology and although HD, it has its issues. Check out these 'rolling shutter' videos to get an idea of its limitations at the moment:

Nikon D300s (with explination of what rolling shutter is)
    [video=youtube;GJozM55HrsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJozM55HrsM[/video]

Canon 600D (one of the newest SLR cameras out woth video mode)
    [video=youtube;UBN469gRXlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBN469gRXlg[/video]

They are slowly getting better, but its an issue across manufacturers at the moment and although some people might not notice it, its wibbly wobblyness sends me mad :eek:

Because of this and my SLR with a lens is a little on the heavy side, i have not found the need to use its video and have a consumer camcorder for that instead which does a great job when i need it.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, take it back and get a refund. Personally I think Currys Digital would be the last place to look for a camera, but that's just me.

The video from all the Canon APS-C cameras is much of a muchness, so you could look at the 550D which is the cheapest with worthwhile video, unless you want an articulating screen, in which case go for the 600D.

Pitfalls of DSLR video, rolling shutter (Jello), moire at unpredictable moments, but any repeating pattern could throw up nasty green / purple blocks of colour over your shot. Aliasing around fine detail, and lousy sound.

You really do need to think of some kind of stabilisation, either a video (Not photo) tripod or a variety of steadycam rig, depending on your budget. Although you could get a plug-in mike, most serious DSLR video makers use an external recorder and sync up in post.

Hope I've not put you off shooting video on your DSLR, but be warned, there are people on these forums who regard video DSLRs as the work of the Devil.

Cheers
    Dave

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 1000D has recently been replaced by the 1100D, which does 720P video, FWIW.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I think it depends- I brought my D3100 in Curry's but before I went in I'd researched camera's asked a couple of friends who are into photography for their recommendations and had a couple of cameras in mind so I was really just going in handle the cameras and see which one felt most comfortable to use. I wouldn't go in there for impulse buys though

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I was in B&H the other days and I was struck by the range of video grip/braces/straps/harneses/rigs that are currently on offer.... saw a few in use on the streets too. There is no doubt that video on DSLR's has become a popular option.

Graeme

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

The salesperson should have informed of the lack of video IMHO.

Do some searches for camera online or check out the reviews. Then you will get a better idea of how to get max value out of your purchase. Not a user. But Sony dSLR seem quite good value seen a 14MP one for under £300 in Argos catalogue. I been told the sensor in a Sony are the same as in Nikons. Anyway good luck.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the date of the original post...

2nd May 2011. Also the poster hasn't been back.

10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, It was flagged up as a new post though. Probably because of the LesleySM reply I suspect. :eek: