1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

om1 repair

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by abbottruss, Oct 7, 2015.

1. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

Hi everyone, new to the forum so be gentle. I have an om1 and the film door catch is sticking/not returning to lock position. Can anyone advise/provide instructions on how to remove the top plate so I can try to figure out what the problem is. I have some precision drivers are there any other special tools I might need. Thanks

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Before you go to all that trouble just have a careful look around the camera back and body with the back open. Check all the seals and then see if there is any sticky gunge around the catch area. Try a wipe with a a square of toilet tissue and some lighter fuel. If you don't have any lighter fuel handy, try using oral hygiene mouthwash.

While doing all that, check the camera body, back and catch for any distortions. Check that the film pressure plate is not displaced and lies parallel to the back and body and within the guide-rails.

3. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

all seals appear sound, no gunge but have cleaned with alcohol, sticking appears to be right at the top of the catch which makes me think something is displaced or broken in the mechanism under the top plate possibly a previous botched "repair" as this is a recent ebay purchase

4. graham_mouat

graham_mouat Well-Known Member

5. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

Yep can see some evidence of that happening, cant do anything about either problem till I get the top off? Can someone give me some pointers on how to do this

6. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

sorry missed the link, not paying attention. any ideas where to get a spanner wrench, got everything else (I think)

7. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

found a wrench on ebay so when that arrives should be all systems go. not looking forward to it but needs must, and all that:D

8. 0lybacker

Don't forget to take digital pics as you take the thing apart, just in case it gets a bit confusing when getting the order for reassembly right. Rather than put all the bits in the one tub, I'd recommend using some old egg cartons with the spaces pre-labelled for the bits that you store in them. You can even orient a ten or dozen egg container so that the top components go left to right in the row furthest from you as removed from camera and then the components left to right again from the next layer down go in the row nearest to you. Try to keep this container on a very solid surface, separate from your workbench. I know the pain and agony (from car & engine building) of struggling with a reluctant nut, the wrench slipping and a flying elbow or somesuch sweeping carefully ordered parts off the workbench! Good luck.

9. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

Thanks for the tip about taking pics, good for future reference too, can do better than the egg carton though. got a foam pad that was some packaging, it has peaks and troughs like an egg carton but stuff doesn't roll around use all the time when doing my pc repairs, good tip though. If all goes to plan will try to post pics and comment, if it doesn't still might so others may learn. Cheers

10. 0lybacker

Your container sounds even better. I was rather taken by this, on the I Love My Leica w/s a few weeks ago: http://ilovemyleica.tumblr.com/post/127719155070/leica-iiia-sync-repair-cla-vii-by-ron

It made me want to buy one and either take it apart or to send it to Ron for a restoration. :)

11. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

just a step too far methinks, however back to my little problem. Solved, got the top plate off, turns out to be a combo of degraded foam and a slightly bent catch, now sorted. lots of degraded foam around prism cleaned off what I could, can still see some in viewfinder but can live with that for the moment, maybe a future project. Many thanks to all who replied with help/advice, special thanks to 0ybacker for calm considered encouragement

12. 0lybacker

You're welcome! :) OM10 prisms are a direct (possibly cheaper) replacement for the stained one, although you may know that already. Glad it went well. All I have to do is stay away from pics of dismantled screw-thread Leicas! :eek: Cheers, Oly

13. abbottruss

abbottruss Member

seen that about om10 prisms am keeping my eye out for a spares/repair on ebay in the meantime do you or anyone know how to actually remove the prism, it doesn't look easy to do