1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

OM-D E-M1iii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by SXH, Jan 3, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ah well, all the more reason then to just write it off as a facelift and wait for the 24MP Mk iv ;)

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s nearly 100 MP full frame!

alfbranch likes this.
  3. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

EHHH!
    Anyway it is a full frame camera it is not using lenses design for a bigger sensor

4. alfbranch

That depends on how much tracking AF is a requirement of Handheld Hi res thats where the upgrades are have a look here though

5. RovingMike

Yes I have been following some of the reviews. It seems high res shot has really moved on and now needs a bit of wobble from handheld. Getting the 5mk3 this week, though, so 1mk2 won't be due for upgrade for a while.

6. alfbranch

I really fancy a couple of 5mk3's to repace my 5mk2 and 1 mk1

7. RovingMike

It is looking good to me. I was concerned about the move to plastic, but the black version looks fine, you couldn't tell. Must admit I got a lot off it at HDEW.

Really a long way beyond 1mk1, but not sure what firmware you have in that. The last upgrade for 1mk2 was excellent.

8. alfbranch

Mike last time I looked they didnt have any but I have looked now great prices as usual I have used Hdew myself

9. RovingMike

Yes I was on their list for it from about last November, so I got a call straight away. £819 surprised me. I was thinking £100 more than that.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

About the most meaningless description in photography that "Full Frame" originally differentiated 35mm cameras, either Half Frame (24 x 18) or Full Frame (24 x 36).

Most people, though by no means all, seem to accept that Full Frame is 24 x 36 but it is by no means wrong to say that any system that uses the whole surface are of a sensor is "Full Frame". Confusion abounds!

11. RovingMike

I think we all know what it means. But yes it is a pity that descriptor was adopted in the first place.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I know the majority of members know what Full Frame means Mike but this is a publicly accessible forum so a bit of background does no harm.

13. RovingMike

Yes as I said in another thread, many people don't know what it is, or why they want it. It has just become a vague shorthand for quality, like pixel count was 10 years ago.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When Leitz first adopted 35mm film the format chosen for the camera was double the 24 x 18 frame size used for cinematography at the time. Therefor it was originally referred to as "double frame". The Leica was preceded by various "single frame" 35mm still cameras such as the Tourist Multiple or the Debrie Sept. (source: Roger Hicks "A History of the 35mm Still Camera")

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting, thank you. Was it Olympus who coined the term Half Frame? I know they used it to describe the original Pen.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I believe so.

17. RovingMike

I believe so too, but first one I was aware of was the Canon Demi, which I'm sure came out in '62, not '63 as they claim.