1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Olympus Trip 35

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Guitarist, May 14, 2010.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Too right!

Then it's slip sliding away: OM4Ti, OM3, OM40, OM10, OM2sp, OM2n ...

... and OM1 ...

an M series Leica with a prism on top! :D

2. 0lybacker

The XA uses 10L14/S76 alkaline or equiv. silver versions. The original batteries in my first XA (purch new) lasted years. Can't remember how many because they lasted so long. May have been a decade or more. Voltage is the same for both versions and they are used in pairs unlike some of the old mercury battery applications.

It helps with selenium meters if they are uncovered and subjected to some varying light levels every few months, (even) if the camera remains unused. Some of the camera technicians in the Trip 35 customising business, I am led to believe, offer quite reasonable rates for check & clean and refurbs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. painterinlight

painterinlight Well-Known Member

I know! About six months after I got my Trip I found an interesting article on the RC and a few weeks later I had all three... I simply couldn't choose between them. The RC is a little rough at the edges, while the RD and SP would be near mint, but for a few signs of use on the bright parts. I'm so taken with them I am having a lens hood made specially for the RD and SP bodies.

4. painterinlight

painterinlight Well-Known Member

If ever you want it refurbished, I'd recommend 'Street Shooters'. You would hardly believe the Trip I got from Ebay was the one Stewart returned in the box.

5. 0lybacker

Good news, Adrian. SRB have 43.5>49mm stepup rings at £3-50 post paid. :) Usual disclaimers apply.

You are right about the Bailey book but it was called Begin With Bailey.

6. azdustdevil

azdustdevil New Member

I just recently acquired an Oly Trip 35. I already have an Oly Pen EE4 half-frame, and an Oly 35RD. All have marvelous lenses. The 35RD unfortunately requires an outlawed mercury battery and so this little jewel gets very little use.

7. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Solution: zinc air battery (Wein cell) or adapter containing a 386 silver oxide battery in a hollowed out PX625 case with a germanium diode to drop the voltage.

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Small Battery company is your source for wein cells, and if you remember to turn the camera off/ keep it a dark place/both they'll last for a number of months - I put one in a 35RC in August and it was still live last week (They're either alive or dead, with stuff all in between).

Adrian

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

SRB Griturn in the UK do B&W 43.5mm filters for the Trip @ £9.95 ea

http://www.srb-griturn.com/srb-black-and-white-filters-521-p.asp

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. Oly_Man

Oly_Man Well-Known Member

I see something similar to that on the net nearly every week, be it about an RD, SP, RC, OM-1, Pentax Spotmatic F, Minoltra SRT, or whatever. It seems the fact that zinc/air batteries are readily available as Mercury substitutes isn't half enough common knowledge. I've even read about people who've actually thrown such cameras away because of the battery 'issue'.

In my OM-1 and 35RC I use Boots 675ZA hearing aid batteries, pack of six for £4.07.

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Look at the Small Battery Company website for replacements/alternatives. I believe you can even buy adapters for modern batteries, though they are rather expensive.

12. azdustdevil

azdustdevil New Member

Yes, I know about the adapters. They are made about ten miles from here in AZ! One is about 29.00...when you buy several, it gets expensive. I may try one, eventually.