1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Olympus Trip 35

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Guitarist, May 14, 2010.

1. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

I've just acquired a Trip 35 - made in Japan - what a brilliant little camera! I shot a test roll of colour negative film and was staggered by the results.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The Trip is hornier than a sackful of rhinos. Not quite so good for B&W because it's a PITA getting filters in 43.5mm, and I'm not sure Olympus ever made a red one that size, but nonetheless a very good quality little machine. I am led to believe that "David Bailey's Book of Photography" (yes, him) contains a number of photos taken with a Trip, which suggests that he did more than just advertise them.

I have one above my bench at work, as my go-anywhere camera for when I pop into town. And at £2.50, I can afford to break it!

Have you seen the Trip 35 group on Flickr?

Adrian

3. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

http://www.tripman.co.uk/70131/info.php?p=4&pno=0

Voila! 43.5mm filters. Not all of them genuine Olympus, but better than a kick in the nuts.

What would be more useful, was if someone made a series of 43.5mm stepping rings. That way I can use all those God awful cross filters and soft spot filters I bought when I first started taking photo's to hide my inability.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A whole series of special stepping rings would be expensive but one ring from 43.5 to a common size from which you could step further might be feasable. Have you contacted SRB? Don't be put off by the fact that 43.5 is not a catalogue item.

5. gray1720

Well spotted, surf_digby. I think he has them made specially for him, and has been out-of-stock for some time, now that they're back I might be tempted...

Adrian

6. GPhotographic

GPhotographic Active Member

Just bought myself a late model (plastic shutter release) for a fiver. Still as nice as I remember them when they were new. Putting a film through it right now. I will let you all know how it goes.

7. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I remember some years ago a friend of min ebought a new SLR and was taken aback to find that his wife's Trip 35 pictures were sharper.....

8. harry_bee

harry_bee Well-Known Member

They're brilliant. Pin-sharp lenses. I'm not a huge fan of Ken Rockwell but he has an excellent comparison between a T35 and a serious Canon DSLR + $2000 40mm lens and there's less distortion in the Trip. Also check the flickr group 'Night Trip 35', quite impressive what it can do.

9. JohnBenedict

JohnBenedict New Member

I just bought a Olympus Trip 35 from the local Junk Store. It's brand new in it's original box with manual but on mine I never get a red flag even in the dark. I think the selenium thingy is gone according to the Selenium test.

but I am still able to take pictures and they are comming out sharper and better than my digital. This camera is just amazing. It works even when it's faulty.

10. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Olympus certainly made superb Zuiko lenses and those in compacts like the Trip and my XA are highly regarded for sharpness.

Enjoy using it.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You're on a slippery slope once you've discovered the delights of the Trip.
    It's not long before the you find its up-market brothers - Olympus 35-SP, 35-RC, 35RD :D

12. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Trips and they are brilliant. However as has been said the next level up are even better.

Ever by todays standards the 35RD lens is hard to beat

Enjoy...

13. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

My mum has one of those still, not in use though. :)

I agree great little camera. Great for candid work. You could even use it in low light because you could set it to f2.8 with a fast film. That made me curious about f stops and in the end SLRs.

14. gray1720

It might be but as elderly Selenium cells go the one in the Trip seems pretty tough. There are other reasons, like the meter needle sticking - if you are a bit handy with the old spanners, you could try here: http://www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35/

There seem to be two drawbacks to Trip ownership - prices are going silly, just when I fancy getting two to make a stereo rig, and as someone said above you do start looking at its brothers... says someone with an RC as well!

Adrian

15. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the simplicity of the Trip35 over my 35RC. Likewise with the XA2.

16. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

17. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

Some years ago, our then local camera repairer showed me a Trip 35 that had been brought in after being run over by a bus. Although looking squashed, the body was still more or less intact. He accepted the challenge and got it working again. Says something for vintage engineering!

18. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Do the (mercury) batteries issues that plaque some Olympus models affect the XA, Trip etc.?.....are the silver oxide alternatives satisfactory...as the voltage is different?

19. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

The Trip 35 DOES NOT USE batteries. It has a selenium photovoltaic cell whose output is used to set a combination of shutter speed and aperture. This lack of battery was a great attraction of the camera, making it pne of the most popular camera models ever.

20. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

If only some of today's battery hungry digi compacts were so equipped!