1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Trip 35 or Yashica Minister III?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Kitchen10, Sep 29, 2015.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nick, I like that! :)

Westons have their downsides, though. I mentioned the scale change-over point. Another is that if you pick them up with thumb on the needle/scale window and too strong a grip, the glass can break away from its adhesive. Another is that when the old eyesight starts to go, with the older Westons especially, the reading glasses become an essential accessory! :eek:

An upside is that they can be handy if you want to get into Zone system exposure & development with sheet film or cameras with interchangeable backs. Cheers, Oly

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

That is so true.

I used to be able to glance at my Weston and set the controls. Now someone's painted the numbers with some kind of light distorting paint and I need to get out the specs to read them!

:D

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

As this has now turned into a 'S/h Lightmeter' Thread, I ought to mention that Minoltas used to be the bees knees but the passing of time has highlighted some weaknesses:
    1. The rotary reading head is obviously dependent on the flexibility of the wires running to & from remaining ...

... well, flexible.

And connected. :)

2. The interchangeable diffusers, spot attachment, etc., is a great facility but the incident hemispheres, especially, may suffer from plastic fatigue.

3. The accessory depends on a pin and another little lever to remain fully fit and active as well as free of gunge. Like the photographer owners, all sorts of declines can set in there, as well. :eek::(

Like quite a bit of photo kit, they really do not like periods of extended inactivity.

One to look for:

Minolta Autometer IIIf. Does ambient and flash. May be available under £50. Runs on a collection of SL14s but in the guise of a PX28. Am posting from memory so may be wise to check which battery but at least it isn't a PX625! The flash reading is made while unconnected in any way to a flash unit ... which has its advantages and disadvantages.