1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Trip 35 or Yashica Minister III?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Kitchen10, Sep 29, 2015.

  1. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    Hi all,

    The time has come for me to go beyond SLRs - I'm getting fed up of lugging about my Canon EOS 500 and I need a small, quiet camera for street photography. I have narrowed down my choices to an Olympus Trip 35 and a Yashica Minister III - both are available from a person I know in working condition for £20 each. Which do you recommend? I like the idea of the Minister as it is a rangefinder. These two cameras are ideal for me as there are no batteries - I get fed up of running out of battery mid-shoot!

    So, what do you advise I buy?


  2. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    The Trip is small, but it decides what it will do. The Yashica will listen to what you want it to do. Much more fun and involving.

    Get the Yashica. One thing to watch out for on the Yashica is a sticky shutter, easily fixed with a bit of tender, loving swabbing with isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid.


    ps or both. Or a Vito II, or a Petri, or a Werra or whatever is going cheap on ebay.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    Thanks for the prompt reply :D

    I agree about the involvement with the Yashica. It is nice to have control over your exposure. Do you know what the lens on the Yashica is like compared to the Zuiko on the Trip? I've heard very good things about it, and I have experience with Zuiko lenses (I have an OM10). The issue with the Voigtlander Vito is that I don't have an external meter! The Werra doesn't appeal to me with its unique film advance, and Petri rangefinders don't really interest me :)
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    Never tried an Olympus. Just one of those things.


    This was on Kentmere 100.

    I like the Yashica, nice and easy to use, good results [the camera, not me], quiet wind-on and shutter. Only real problem is that you need seriously good eyesight to see the light meter setting, and a microscope to see the film speed setting... Otherwise, everything comes neatly to hand.


    ps don't dismiss the Petri, it's like a slightly smaller Yashica, only with a sensible and visible meter, and the Werra wind-on is no problem after using one for about three minutes.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  5. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    Nice shot! Luckily, I have fairly sharp eyesight seeing as I'm still a teenager :) What do you think of the accuracy of the meter on your camera? The one on the one I want to buy has been checked and is accurate. Have you found many situations where the meter has been inaccurate?

    I'm not dismissing the Petri or the Werra, but I only really have the option to buy equipment from sources near me (mainly friends or local shops) as I stray away from eBay and online sellers, and I've never seen either of them for sale. I like to see what I'm getting!
  6. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    Meter still good after all these years! No real problems with inaccuracy, and the Yash has the advantage that the meter is around the lens - if you use a filter, it covers the meter as well and so automatically compensates.

    People will tell you that selenium meters are rubbish after X years and that CdS meters are the ones to go for, as more reliable. Well, I've got several selenium metered cameras which are all fine except one with what seems like a broken wire and one is slightly weak so I just compensate a bit. On the other hand, I've got three dead CdS meters.

    Always a good plan to buy what you can try, but I'm old and stupid and ever the optimist.

    Be careful if you buy the Yashica though, it can be habit forming, just ask some of the others on the forum.

  7. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    I have no idea about the yashica but describing an olympus trip as beyond an SLR is a bit hard to credit and I wouldn't swap one now for £20! I did have one once - basic but easy to use.
  8. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    Right then, it's decided. I'm going for the Yashica. Thank you for your help! :)
  9. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    Good choice, I think you'll enjoy it.

  10. dreefarker

    dreefarker New Member

    The Yashica will listen to what you want it to do.
  11. 0lybacker

    0lybacker In the Stop Bath

    Thing about Trip35s is that they can be a bit variable in all sorts of ways. One that I had was recently broken (possibly by Nikon Norm :rolleyes: as it was passed round a group that he & I are in & who all shot some frames on one roll of film.) I wasn't up for the hassle & expense of a repair or the greater hassle of a d-i-y attempt. I flogged it for spares or repairs & was surprised at the price paid for it out East! It has probably been repaired, re-covered in fancy leatherette and is on sale for x5 what the guy paid for it. In a way I was sorry to let it go as it had a very smooth, soft shutter release.

    Some are not like that. Lens quality can be variable. Is the Trip lens slightly more wide-angle than the Yashica?

    I think go for the Yashica - good ones will be harder to find - and it may be a bit more robust. There are shed loads of Trips out there; you can always get one, maybe for less than £20, at some point in the future if you don't get on with the Minister.
  12. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    The Yashica has a 45mm lens. I think that at some point (if I find one for less than £20), I will buy a Trip as they are smaller than the Yashica, so they would probably be better for travel!
  13. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    Have a think about some of the others as well as the Trip, eg Ricoh 500G or ME rangefinder - you can stick it on auto if you want. And it will fit in your pocket.
    Do you absolutely need a meter? You can pick up a working hand hand meter from ebay, or use the Sunny 16 rule.
    No rangefinder? Get an accessory shoe mounted one, or learn to judge distances without. [Bit tricky using a camera using Imperial if you're brought up using metric. Having said that, I was definitely brought up the old way, now have to think to use feet!]

  14. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    The issue with the Ricoh is that it runs on batteries, which is something that I do not want. Having a selenium meter is a HUGE bonus for me. Doesn't it run on PX675 batteries too? :confused:

    Anyhow, the idea of a handheld meter does not appeal to me as it defeats the object of having a rangefinder/compact camera - I want to carry less with me.

    Also, bear in mind that as I am under 18, I cannot use eBay or other online retailers to buy cameras (and hotshoe rangefinders/exposure meters), and I am limited to what I can find around me :(.

    Another issue is that calibrated exposure meters are not cheap - I need accurate exposure as I am on a tight budget and cannot afford to waste film. I know that the meters on the Yashica and the Trip that I have the option to buy work perfectly and give the same reading as the seller's Sekonic reference meter.


  15. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    The Ricoh uses batteries for auto, but will happily run without on manual, allowing you to change all settings, and it has a rangefinder and fits in a pocket.
    As for meters, I've got a reasonable CdS meter which works fine when the batteries work, and an old Weston which was cheap [£6] but works just as well. They have their uses, even on cameras which have their own meters.
    I didn't realise that ebay had an age restriction though. Sensible enough, but annoying if you are caught by it.

    As an aside, how are you going to develop and print your shots? It can get expensive in the long term using shops. And it's more fun, though more expensive in the immediate term, to develop your own. Any idea which films you want to use yet?

  16. Kitchen10

    Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

    I'd love to get into developing my own film, but darkroom equipment (enlargers, tanks etc) seems expensive and I have no idea where to start! Furthermore, as I have no access to anywhere that sells darkroom equipment (yet again, eBay would be great for buying this kind of stuff), this is unfortunately not something which I can consider :(. When it comes to black and white, all I can use is Ilford XP2 Super, which I can get processed at Asda for £2 a roll because it is C-41. If I could develop my own films, I'd like to try Ilford Delta 3200 (for the grain) and Ilford FP-4 (for the forgiving nature of the emulsion).

    Anyhow, seeing as eBay is not accessible, even if I did want a Ricoh 500G/ME, I would have to wait for one to turn up at the market or in a charity shop - which means I could be waiting my whole life!
  17. nick123

    nick123 New Member

    £20.00 each? Buy both!

  18. nimbus

    nimbus Well-Known Member

    You must know somebody 18 or over who will buy on your behalf online. It's not as though they would be buying anything dubious or addictive, well addictive maybe:).
  19. steveandthedogs

    steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

    Ring Ag or Firstcall and get a processing kit and changing bag [the largest bag you can find for comfort!].



    The Ag kit includes the chemicals, the Firstcall kit has a better tank.
    With one of those kits and a bag, you can develop your own film, though you would need to scan it into a computer [or contact print without an enlarger, not as easy and not as controllable].

    Not cheap initially, perhaps, but you would save over the price of a few films.

    And Christmas is coming.

    Thinks - is there a public darkroom near you, or a photographic club where some of the slightly older members would be willing to help? Look at the Ilford website, they have pages on how to develop and/or print, and a list of darkrooms you can hire.

  20. PeteRob

    PeteRob Well-Known Member

    Developing FP-4 is not difficult and equipment wise you need a tank incl. spiral, a thermometer, a means of keeping time and containers to store the made up chemicals. A changing bag can be used for the essential dark transfer of film from cassette to tank but if you have a walk in cupboard in the house that will do. I used to use the cupboard under our stairs. The biggest issue is whether you have hard water because film needs a lot of washing and drying marks are a pain.

    Patterson used to be the main source of equipment.

    You need more equipment to print (enlarger, safety light, 3 flat trays, 2 sets tongs, an enlarger timer is useful but not essential). The minimum darkroom is a dedicated space with power that you can black out having a flat work surface big enough to take 3 trays and an enlarger base. Plus a clear route to the kitchen sink for washing prints. The ideal darkroom has running water and ventilation. If you do it cupboard small like I did then it can get very hot and smelly - probably unhealthily so by today standards. The sight of an image emerging if you do it yourself is quite magic.

    These days I think the dry darkroom (scan, computer process and print) has a lot of advantages over the wet darkroom so I'd be inclined to weigh the price of a film scanner against that of the darkroom set up.

Share This Page