1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus OM2n

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Emma_Benson, May 20, 2009.

1. Emma_Benson

Emma_Benson Well-Known Member

I have just been an Olympus OM2n in fantastic condition which is absolutely beautiful! The lady who gave it to me said she doesn't think it is working, can anyone give me any hints on what i need to do to give it a check over and see if it will work?

Would be very much appreciated :)

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

run a film through it...that's about all I can think of.
    Try and remember what settings you've used -possibly just take one shot thirty six times...with thirty six settings...other than that I've no idea... sorry...

3. Emma_Benson

Well after pondering around the internet, I think it maybe just the batteries that are dead, which locked the shutter up, after resetting it and testing it on bulb it appears to be working ok. Will get some new batteries tomorrow and see how that goes with a film.

Thank you for your quick reply :)

4. Lazza

Lazza Well-Known Member

Yes, quite often people that don't know OM-2's think the camera is a goner without realising the battery/shutter reset situation which of course can be to one's advantage should someone decide to then ditch said camera of course. :D

I had the same situation myself when I bought mine, £1 for a new set and all solved. The one thing I would check through a test roll as sort of indicated by Spinno is the metering in AP mode. I was worried about mine because the needle, though not jumping around, seemed to indicate very high shutter speeds overall when using it. A couple of rolls of Tri-X and perfect exposures soon reassured me it was fine though.

They are truly great cameras and my OM-2 is probably my most used camera in my collection, I use it exclusively for street photography as it's so small, a massive viewfinder when compared to most DSLR's, so quiet in use and efficient and nobody on the wrong side of the tracks pays any attention to it with the view of theft which is the ideal situation. Lenses are so cheap, examine the 50mm that came with it though for fungus inside & dust - they are getting old now and I do find far more prone than say Nikon lenses of similar age to develop such, a little bit's OK though and won't notice on film and again a few test rolls will soon show this up if it is going to be a problem.

Have fun using it! :)

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

This page has some information about suitable batteries for the OM2n. Good luck - I only aspired to an OM10.

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I have a couple. One is in perfect working order after over 30 years and a lot of use. The other has a dead exposure meter but as that one was given to me I can't complain. As others have suggested new batteries will be needed but that, hopefully, will be the lot. Good luck and lets see some results.

7. Emma_Benson

Just popped into town to hunt for a battery but only the jewelers have them at £5 each!! So I left it for now, going to order online!

Tested it with some LR44s though and everything is working fine :)

Does it make a lot of difference to the metering using LR44s?

8. Manofolympus

Manofolympus Well-Known Member

With alkaline cells the voltage gradually drops as the battery discharges,which will lead to a variable exposure error-this being the problem-if it was a constant error you could work round it. The silver oxide cells have a virtually constant voltage until they are flat, and thus the metering will be accurate at all times. Also the alkalines are 1.5 Volts to start with not 1.55V.

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

That's true, but the OM2n is quite well regulated and, in my experience, the metering is consistent until the battery tests low with the check function on the meter switch - whether SR44 or LR44, silver oxide or alkaline, batteries are used.

Alkaline batteries don't last as long and may not work at all in lowish temperatures, so SR44s are definitely to be preferred. But LR44s will be OK in a pinch, just keep using the battery check function. The LED should light constantly when the switch is held in the check position. If it flashes, the battery voltage is low.

10. john2

john2 Well-Known Member

I love both the OM1n and theOM2n. You can download the Owner's Instruction Book here:-http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/bodygroup/manuals/om2n.pdf
    Most of the use is straitforward, but it is worth reading about the use of flash in particular. Incidentally the meter indication in the viewfinder is lower centre-weighted, but the auto exposure (reading from the film plane) is full frame averaged.
    John

11. benji

benji Well-Known Member

Yes, do run a film through it, as Spinno suggested.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to shoot a roll of transparencies, just to check the light-metre is doing a good job and/or shutter speeds are accurate.

If you bracket exposure with negs, the processing lab may compensate for it, so you'll be none the wiser.

With slides, what you see is what you get.

Benji

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The correct battery for the OM2n is the S76 silver oxide or sr44 or exact equivalent.
    You can find them very cheaply on EBAY stores.

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've just got a couple of SR44s for my FM2 from 7dayshop for 1.29 each, though they did take nearly a week to get here. I've previously got them from Mailshots or Discount Films Direct, where they cost around £1.50 each plus postage, but arrived next day.

14. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

I use the Small Battery Company, who I find competitive & very efficient.

15. Emma_Benson

Thanks for everyones replies, they are really helpful :)

Went out and shot a test film today, processed it and everything perfect even though i am using LR44s at the moment.

HUGEEE Problem now though, when i rewound the film or attempted to, the the little handle came off. I managed to just about screw it back on to get the film out in the dark. Being stupid i shut the back of the camera after. Then attempting to repair what had happened the screw bit fell inside the back of the camera!!

So now I cannot get open the back at all!

Is there anyone who would know how to open the back or get into it without the catch? :(

16. Manofolympus

Sorry-do you mean the rewind crank (the little arm that folds out) or the whole rewind knob has come off? In the meantime be careful-the back catch is about the only fragile bit on the OM1 and 2 and is easy to bend/break.

17. Emma_Benson

The rewind crank And rewind knob then some bits fell inside too :(:(:( I really don't know what to do i'm so disappointed!

Is there any other way to get the back open?

18. Manofolympus

I presume what you've lost is the rewind shaft. I don't think there is any other way to get the back open-although it is removable you have to get at the inside of the hinge to do it Removing OM1/2 top plate covers removing the top plate which I think will give access to the latch. I dont know why the shaft fell in-I wonder if someone else has been in the camera.
    Sorry about delay replying-child crisis

19. Manofolympus

20. Emma_Benson

Oh dear, I think im going to have to get one of my work colleagues to look at it, i just dont know where to start! Thanks for your help and quick responses :)