1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Olympus OM1n or OM2n

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Noby 39, Feb 13, 2004.

1. lunarpremier

lunarpremier Member

Re: OM 1(N?)

Hi!
    I had an OM2N, T32 flash, autowinder,plus original Olympus lenses, 28, 50, 125, a range of zooms up to 300mm, teleconverters and extention tubes (and a large camera bag!) and part exchanged the lot for a Canon EOS500 plus lenses.
    Big mistake! Wish I still had it all now - God I miss that camera and the superb lenses.
    One word of advice - make sure you get some sort of warranty to try a few films first to make sure it's OK. Mine let light in eventually so I flogged it as Olympus wanted a fortune to even look at it (and their customer service gave me the run around) - mind you that was 6 years ago so hope they have improved now.
    Good luck
    George

2. lunarpremier

lunarpremier Member

Sorry guys, previous post probably useless now as I see the original post by Noby 39 was on 13/02/04!

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Just a thought. The wind-on clutch is in the "advance" position I take it. If its been set to the rewind (ie to disenagage the clutch) then the wind-on lever won't work.

4. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

Is the shutter already cocked by any chance? If so, the advance mechanism won't work until the shutter is released.

5. Jaded

Jaded Well-Known Member

wrt the OM2 metering, my OM2n had two sensors, one on each side of the mirror box, and as I understood it, both read during the exposure, in slow shutter speeds that was from the film itself, in fast ones they read off the first shutter curtain, which had the white and black pattern on it.

There was a separate sensor for the viewfinder meter display, as I understand it.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite right. And only the viewfinder sensor is turned off by the meter switch, I believe.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the OM2 switch turns off the camera the OM1 switch only turns off the meter. The OM2 has an electronic shutter. I could be wrong, it was along time ago that I had an OM2n.

8. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

The OM2(n) has an electronic shutter, and it will autoexpose down to 1/30sec even when the switch is in the OFF position. That way the user wouldn't miss a grab shot if the (viewfinder) meter happened to be set to OFF.

9. Si27

Si27 Member

OM1 update

So I took the camera into my local independent shop, and they kindly looked at it. The film advance mechanism is 'broken', apparently! The iris on the lens that was attached to the body at the time was sticking, and the foam inside the body needs replacing...

They reckoned they could send it off to Canon, who will look at it & repair it all (along with the rest of the lenses) for around £100. Now I just need to decide if I'll use it enough to be worth it!

10. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

Re: OM1 update

When did Canon start to repair OM1's :D

Look at eBay for prices, I think £100 is too much for repair when you can probably buy 2 for that, Also there is a guy doing maint&repair for £40+.
    Alternativly you could wander around a couple of car boots and for £100 you should get a handfull provided you are happy to have 10,20,30 or 40's and a few lenses thrown in for good luck.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Re: OM1 update

If only one lens is sticking, why have the rest cleaned? What do they mean by "broken", it may work with a winder, or you could wreck it completely. The foam needs to be done but,
    That looks like good advise to me, you could get a really good one and a replacement lens for very little.