1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Olympus OM1n or OM2n

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Noby 39, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Noby 39

Noby 39 Well-Known Member

I have read that the OM2n is to be preferred over the OM1n, yet looking at the ffordes website, for example, I see that OM1n bodies cost more than OM2n bodies. A local camera shop has an OM1n chrome body for sale at £90. It looks in very good condition, and comes with a 6 months' warranty. Ffordes offer an OM2n body for £95. Views on OM1n v OM2n would be welcomed.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I once had an OM1n years ago. It was a nice camera but I found it too small and fiddly for my big fat fingers.

The OM1 is manual only, IIRC the OM2n was basically the same but offered aperture priority auto exposure.

Nigel IRIPN

I should be on Grumpy Old Men /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They're actually very different animals in similar bodies. The OM2n was incredibly advanced for its time - off-the-film metering and flashmetering, light measurement down to EV MINUS 5.5, electronic shutter with times to two minutes - quite an animal. The OM1n is much more basic - but both are lovely cameras, and I think I actually prefer the 1 to the 2, on balance.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Wasn't it 'off the shutter curtain' metering, or was that just for indication purposes?

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Shows what you tend forget in 20-odd years!

Nigel IRIPN

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

OTFP!

"Off.The.Film.Plane" (OTFP) metering was claimed by Olympus whereby the the exposure was calculated while the shutter was open from the light reflected from the actual film surface. The camera had two sensors, one took a reading off the shutter curtain as Huw has said to give you a "guesstimate" reading in the viewfinder while the sensor which actually determined exposure was the one exposed to light reflected from the film plane when the shutter was open. Dashed clever but didn't make a hell of a lot of difference in the real world.

To answer the poster's original question I would simply say "do you want a mechanical camera or an electronic one?" The OM2N is electronic and will be useless without a working battery, the OM1N is mechanical and non battery dependant. The OM2N offers more features such as aperture priority and TTL flash but the OM1N will keep on going even if you take the battery out. You pays yer money you takes yer choice! Me, I'd go for the OM2N because manual only exposure in a 35mm SLR is a pain the arse and aperture priority is MUCH more usefull!

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: OTFP!

Not quite - there were two sensors indeed, one in the viewfinder, the other pointing towards the shutter and film plane. The exposure indicator in the viewfinder comes from the viewfinder metering cell (which incidentally can be switched off), but the actual exposure is calculated by the other cell. This is used to take a reading off the shutter curtain immediately prior to exposure, and then it continues to monitor exposure off the film during exposure. There is a difference between the OM2 and OM2n in terms of the dot pattern on the shutter, which effectively modifies the metering pattern.

Two great cameras, I like 'em both.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

8. Noby 39

Noby 39 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for their informative and helpful information. Ye pays yer money and ...

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

...yer gets both!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

...yer gets both!

Ah....................the Phiggy approach!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nigel IRIPN

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And mine!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

12. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

That's what I did. One tip, avoid the OM2 Spot, which is a later varient of the 2n with a built in spot meter. They eat batteries at an increadible rate. It's a nice feature, though, and worked properly on the wonderful OM4Ti. These too can now be picked up amazingly cheaply, although not as cheap as the OM1 and 2.

One nice thing if you use a copy stand or tend to work on a tripod a lot, the OM1 has mirror lock up to make the shutter action smoother. At the time Olympus claimed that the OM2 and later shutters didn't need it as they worked more smoothly anyway, but I have never noticed much difference in practice and it can be a very useful feature.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Please don't forget that the OM1n and the OM1 are only slightly different, in the form of a flash ready light. The OM2n is significantly different from the OM2. Most of the differences are in the realm of flash photography, specifically dedication. The OM2n has three dedicated flash guns, the T20, T32 and a hammer head gun whose designation escapes me. They all offer OTF TTL Flash. The OM2 has one dedicated flash the QA310 which offers OTF TTL Flash, the two flash systems are NOT compatible. The OM2n and the OM4 and OM4Ti use the same flash system.

Personally, I would recommend the OM2n if you want the flash capabilities and aperture priority auto exposure. If you arent fussed about flash and auto exposure go for an OM1 or OM1n. Leave the OM2 (non N version) well alone as the QA310 is rare and as far as I know there were no independant dedicated guns fro it either.

14. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that - totally consistent with my own experience.

The hammerhead is the T45. A great gun, but a bit of a whopper with a large, dedicated NiCad rechargeable battery. Are they (the batteries that is) still available?

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Chris, I never owned a T45 so, although I would have liked one at the time, I never got used to the designation. Some how I doubt that you can still get the NiCd packs. I wanted M15V NiCd Control packs in 1989 and they were in short supply so now 16 years later I would expect all the batteries to be pretty rare, especiallt as most rechargeables are now NiMh or LitIon. I hanen't seen a T45 for sale recently either.

If you have the battery pack it might be possible to replace the cells with NiMh items.

16. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I sold my T45 (with batteries and charger) with the rest of all my Olympus OM stuff in 2002.

My question about availability of batteries was only intended as a "heads up" for anyone contemplating the purchase of a T45.

One of the things I am really nostalgic for, since changing to Canon digital, is the superb flash facilities of the OM2N and the OM4 with the T45 . . . . /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am just about learning how to use the Canon 550EX, but as yet, it does not feel nearly as intuitive as the OM did. Partly I think it's about the technical problems of auto-flash-metering with digital, but mainly I guess it's about old dogs and new tricks . . . . . . :)

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise, I found the Olympus flash system intuitive but Nikon's Digital TTL system needs some thought, such is progress.

18. Si27

Si27 Member

OM 1(N?)

Yesterday I acquired (from a box in my brother's attic) an OM 1 with a selection of lenses, filters, flash etc. I have no intention of selling, as it has sentimental value, and would love to get some of the kit working. Cosmetically it appears to be in good condition, and after purchasing a battery the light meter seems to function - but I have been unable to load a film - the film advance lever doesn't seem to work. I have followed the original manual, so I assume the mechanism is faulty somewhere...

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do? I assume authorised repair is pretty difficult & expensive nowadays. Is their a possibility that a motorised winder could help? On a slightly different tack, will any of the lenses be compatible with digital SLRs?

Any thoughts gratefully received!
    Cheers,
    Si

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Re: OM 1(N?)

Yes an Olympus Winder 1 or winder 2 may well allow you to resurrect this OM1, beware if it does not have th MD logo on the front you can't use a winder.

20. Si27

Si27 Member

Re: OM 1(N?)

It does have the MD logo, and the contacts / gearing access on the base - I guess I should start looking around for second-hand winders... Thanks!