1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Mju II Question

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Thomas Keidan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Well-Known Member

Hi, I've got a quick question for you all. My Mju II arrived today. When I opened up the back I noticed a plastic strip next to where the film is loaded. I thought this might be a stuck bit of film so I gave it a gentle pull and it didn't budge. What is this? I've seen it in some videos showing how to load the film into the camera so I know it's supposed to be there now. Is it super fragile... should I have not been pulling it and getting fingerprints on it etc? Thanks

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The best thing is to find a manual online. A google search throws up lots of links but the computer I am on today I use for work so I don't go a'clicking.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. It is probably there to hold the cassette firmly. Touching a bit of plastic and leaving a fingerprint will only be a problem if you commit a crime and forensics find it;).

4. Thomas Keidan

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I meant to explain that the plastic strip is at the opposite side of where the actual roll goes. So the strip is on the side where you feed the initial film in!

5. Thomas Keidan

I have the manual in front of me and cant find a thing!

6. PeteRob

It must tell you how to load the film. It may work "backward" spooling all the film out then rewind it as you use it

7. Thomas Keidan

I read the manual... only reference I could find was 'Caution: Do not touch the plastic parts near the take-up spool' which is a worry

8. PeteRob

Good that you found something in the manual. Now you know not to touch them again :)

9. Thomas Keidan

That doesn't help me as I think everyone knows how stupidly worried I get!!

10. PeteRob

To take your mind off what is done, What does the manual say about loading the film? is it an ordinary manual system or a motor drive system? I had a little Fuji that you just dropped the film into and closed the back and it wound itself.

11. Thomas Keidan

I think it's the same as that fuji you described which means its a motor drive!

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The film winds itself (well the camera does it)
    All you really have to worry about is taking your photos. Relax and enjoy. One tip make sure you know how to turn the flash off. The brain of the camera seems to think that flash is needed on occasion if the sun goes behind a cloud...

13. Thomas Keidan

thanks for this but on the instruction book it warns not to touch the part in question. So although it may not impact pictures im worried it may impact the film operation

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is it a small triangular piece of plastic?

15. Thomas Keidan

It looks like a rectangle but it's angled towards the film chamber if that makes sense. It's hard to describe!

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's ok but don't touch it deliberately- you can't help accidentally touching it. As I said best way to deal with it is to run a film through the camera and make sure all is well that way- I would imagine it's very difficult for the consumer to do any other sort of testing. Had mine out today at Chatsworth- just to finish a roll off...