1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Olympus Imaging Division sold

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I bought one of those in 2011, with the 17mm and optical finder. I just didn't get on with it though I tried my best.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not used one, but what was the problem?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I wanted to like the ON-D I had but the viewfinder didn't do what I needed. With an optical finder the image sort of "pops" into focus the EVF didn't do that and I was left wondering whether the subject was in focus or not. Now it wasn't the latest EVF then, and that was two years ago, so they may have improved quite a lot since then. I am pretty sure they will get there but until then I will stick with SLRs. My other problem with Olympus is their history, they dropped the accessories I needed for my OM System and I don't want to be in a similar position again. There is no doubting the quality of cameras or lenses.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nothing in particular. I thought I'd be able to use it as an alternative to a digital rangefinder but neither the optical finder nor the rear screen really jelled for me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've still got one. I tend to agree with you. A lot to like about it, but not that likeable to use. Somehow, it's not quite as much as the sum of its parts.

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Dead right!

I was very satisfied with my manual focus Pentax SLR outfit, but the time came when I wanted to get the benefit of digital and autofocus. If Pentax had then offered a full-frame DSLR in their compact, lightweight, good-value tradition that had enticed me to the brand, I’d probably have bought it with an autofocus mid-range zoom, with the intention of replacing my other manual focus lenses gradually. But Pentax didn’t then offer a full-frame DSLR (and while their current K-1 Mark II seems great value, it’s far from compact and lightweight.) I decided that, as autofocus lenses seemed much heavier than my Pentax kit, and a complete full frame outfit would have needed a very large initial investment, I’d need to switch to APS-C. But most of my full-frame manual lenses would have been unattractive on APS-C, so I had little to lose by making a fresh start. Pentax’s DSLRs and lenses seemed to have shortcomings compared to Canon’s or Nikon’s, if I should want anything advanced in future they offered little choice, and the brand itself seemed to be at risk. So I went to a camera store to choose between outfits based on the Canon 550D or Nikon D90. (Fortunately I chose the Nikon, which has allowed me to upgrade to a D800 while still carrying some lightweight APS-C lenses. As it happens, Pentax is still going, but the range has fallen still further behind its competitors, and at some stage I’ll probably replace the D800 with the mirrorless Z7 or its successor - again something not available from Pentax. The adapter for ‘F’ mount lenses both avoids the need for another fresh start, and discourages me from abandoning Nikon.)

Chris