1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Olympus Imaging Division sold

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jun 24, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

CIPA statistics show a steady fall in the number of cameras shipped to Europe to ~ 4.8 million units in 2019 - say 1/30 split to UK is 160,000. Say average price is ~ £500 that puts an upper band for cameras at £ 80 million. it was six times larger only a few years ago now but we can pretty much assume the latent demand is met and this is a combination of replacement of existing kit and new starters. The 2020 figures to date are dire, no wonder there are so many promotions.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you look at the graph of camera sales over the past few years, conventional cameras sit nicely on the left, on the right is a column so high that, to show the whole on the screen the left hand side appears as a very minor blip. That column is phone sales and is orders of magnitude larger than Canon and Nikon combined. If even a few percent of those phone buyers were to buy something photographically better than their phones the manufacturers would be swamped. There is huge potential but also huge risk, I can’t qualify the size of the potential market because I never saw the top of that right hand column.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is apples and pears. We live in a society where a smart phone is rapidly becoming an essential thing to have. You can, practically speaking, take the phone market to be "everybody". As such it is a poor indicator of who might want to buy a camera. Certainly it is a dissuader for most people as it provides both its own camera and, seemingly, the preferred way of getting a picture from A to B. This latter seen by the demand to have cameras wirelessly connect to phones and the move to have editing tools, previously the province of computers move to hand-held devices.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you read my earlier post, I think there is a gap in the market for something better than a phone but not a traditional camera, it would have to connect to a phone because phone users have become so used to having everything instantly connected to social media etc.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Hmm, some sort of casing that you slid the phone into - using the USB socket to connect the pair, the case having a sensor of its own and a decent zoom, all controlled by an app on the phone?

Anyone want to give a couple of hundred thousand to do a feasibility study? :cool:

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

No need. The technology already exists to connect cameras to smartphones.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes it does, but have you ever tried to track a moving object using a screen that isn't attached to the camera? The idea was merely to hold the phone, acting as a viewfinder, fixed relative to the lens/sensor. Give the camera its own viewfinder and that need disappears.

RogerMac likes this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm afraid that analogy is akin to saying every car driver has the potential to buy a horse. Phone ownership sadly can't be an indicator of potential. Only interest in photogrphy as such cn do that. Snappers never have been interested in photography.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you might be surprised by how many people would like to be able to take "real photographs" but have no idea where to start. Apple's advertising on the London Underground is trying to get people to see the latest iPhone as a serious camera, with software taking the place of optics, showing shallow depth of field effects etc. I think there is interest but the step from a phone to an interchangeable lens camera is too great.

10. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Interesting video on the Olympus sale here. I don't always agree with what this pair post, but in this instance they appear to have done some research on previous practice by the group who have bought Olympus' imaging division. Were I heavily invested in Olympus kit I'd be apprehensive;-

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

They seem unaware of Black Magic who make video cameras using M4/3 sensors and lens mounts but I don't think they, alone, can keep the format alive.

12. RovingMike

Definitely because people are educated to believe you don't need to know how to do things yourself, just how to find things that do it for you. So I was wrong in saying interest in photography, what I should have said was DIY photography. We are one of the last sectors to experience that in fact. Pressing all of today's buttons is complicated enough without having to know what they do.

13. RovingMike

Well I am and I am. Yes this puts it very well. But my stuff will last a few more years to plenty of time to review when it is all clearer, but I won't be buying any more I suspect. Hopefully what they say about resale values will be true.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Indeed, worrying time for us Olympus owners. However the writing has been on the wall if only because Olympus themselves have been sending out warning shots for the past couple of years that their camera/imaging business was running at a continual loss. I do wonder how making the camera division a stand-alone entity will enable them to turn in a profit if they've not managed it under "general ownership" of Olympus, especially as I feel that JIP are less likely to be able to provide funds for developing new ideas/equipment. However, time will tell.....

I was looking out for a used EM1 mk II following the announcement of the Mk III, but the second hand dealer prices are still IMHO crazily high..... new mk II's start from well under £900 but used ones are generally well over £700 with some approaching £800. For just a little more, you get a new body with all the accessories, box etc plus the reassurance of the "professional" warranty. Maybe the latest news will cause used mk II prices to drop to something that I feel is more reasonable and affordable (around £600 or less)

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I moved away from Olympus in 1990 when, having failed to produce a viable AF system they abandoned the motordrive system for the OM series. As far as I am concerned, "they have a previous".

That isn't unusual, a good used Nikon D500 is only a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than a new one, likewise a 200-500 f5.6 lens. Good used D5 bodies are rare but what is available is still around 80% of the new price. D4 bodies are now becoming affordable but D4s bodies remain somewhat less so. Translating that to Olympus, the OM-D EM1 MKII will probably become more affordable if a MKIV is ever produced. Of course if manufacture of cameras were to cease prices could rise.

If I were still an Olympus user I would be considering whether to jump in and buy now, which I tried but failed to do with OM M15V Ni-Cd packs, or to bail out. The problem with bailing out would be, where to? Panasonic still have a bewildering range of M4/3 bodies but will they continue if they are the only M4/3 stills camera manufacturer? Panasonic now have the S mount system of "full frame" cameras. There are a good number of video cameras using the M4/3 sensor so it is possible that it will become a video format.

A very sad state of affairs! Fortunately there are huge numbers of people, but still a minority, who still want to know how things work and why.

16. RovingMike

Well it is that already. Pro videoers have been using Lumix for years.

Actually, the MFT cameras have reached such a level that you could envisage using them for the next 10 years or so. I think diminishing returns have set in to improvements. Could even pick up a new EM1mk3 or 5mk3 body and leave it in the box for 10 years before opening.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry Mike, I was talking about dedicated video cameras, which is not to say that Lumix cameras are any less capable but there are some seriouc pro video cameras using M4/3 sensors, with all the capabilities of fixed location remote operation etc.

Yes you could buy a/some new OM-D camera/s and keep them in the box/es for ten years but you would need to ensure that batteries were available because Li-ion batteries probably won't stay in good condition for that long.

18. RovingMike

Yes good point about the batteries. Hopefully if there are a lot of bodies out there Mr Xpro will still make them.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am hoping that will be the case with the Nikon EN-EL4 and EN-EL18 too.

20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If there are users I am sure Duracell , among others, will supply. I lost my PEN -F charger in my move so ordered another plus spare battery from Duracell both work perfectly