1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Olympus E-PL9 flash problems

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by whiskerytorpedo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. whiskerytorpedo

whiskerytorpedo Active Member

I have recently bought an Olympus E-PL9 and FL 300R flash. However when I use the pop up flash on the camera, which if I understand correctly must be used to trigger the FL 300R when used off camera, it will fire a couple of times and then it refuses to recharge. ie the red flash symbol on the top right of the screen flashes continuously. this occurs even with a fully charged battery. Is the camera faulty or can you only get 2 or 3 flashes out of the pop up flash before it shuts down for 10 minutes?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It refuses to recharge or takes a long time to recharge? If a flash-gun fully discharges then it can take a while to recharge. I'd imagine that the camera manual should give recycle times for the on-board flash. A wait of 10 minutes seems excessive but I'd not be surprised at a few seconds. A standalone flash gun can take 30s to recycle from a full discharge even on full batteries. In common use, e.g. with the subject right in front of the camera, only a small part of the flash power is used and this is quickly replaced. I'm afraid I don't make much use of in-built flashes so I don't have experience but I suggest to look up the recycle time in the manual. If you don't have a manual it will almost certainly be able to be downloaded from the Olympus web-site.

3. whiskerytorpedo

Ok I have been doing some experimentation. The on camera flash is working fine with only a second or so between flashes. The issue occurs when I use the off camera flash in RC mode I cannot fathom out how to get the external flash to fire. The on camera flash fires but the external one does not. The screen indicator flashes red and the camera will not take any photograph after this. I have read the manual of both flash gun and camera and cannot fathom out where I am going wrong. OK UPDATE. I have now managed to get it working. I did this by first switching to RC mode then turning on the flash and setting the flash to RC channel A. Then firing a test/charge. I then set the camera RC menu to A TTL, flash to normal and camera to TTL. The only thing I did different was a test firing of the flash gun. I now believe the flashing red symbol was possibly due to the camera and the flash gun not communicating with each other. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Flash systems usually work in groups so that you can control guns independently but it means assigning the correct channels. I think my Canon system allows 3 channels (A,B,C) and 4 sub-groups in each channel. I bought a macro ring-flash that can also be used as a flash trigger and to set it up I need a good look at the book!

5. whiskerytorpedo

OK another update. After more experimentation it would appear that it is the radio connection between the camera and flash that is sometimes good sometimes not. The connection between camera and phone when using it as a remote is also a bit hit and miss. It is unfortunate that there does not seem to be a way of confirming whether the flash and camera are connected OK. Its a case of firing a test shot and see if it works.