1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old reviews removed from AP website

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The website used to have many 'archive' reviews that were useful to direct somebody to if they were considering buying a second hand camera body or lens, but recently these have been removed (or so well hidden that I cannot find them). I recall that one could specify a particular manufacturer when searching for reviews.

For example, 10 year old DSLR body review could be useful to somebody today, if they are looking to buy one with a £50 or £100 budget. As long as the website states the obvious (that any prices quoted are no longer relevant) and clearly shows the date of the review, I don't understand why they cannot remain available.

Has anybody else noticed this?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I just looked. I don’t tend to go to the main site anymore as I subscribe to AP and get the newsletter. I found on the ipad that indeed the old review search is gone. Further the pull down list for review categories doesn't work well with my ipad Safari version. The pop up ads just get in the way and cancelling the ad (to see the screen) resets the filter. I typed Review Canon 5D in the search box and it pulled up reviews of the 5D series, plus lower down, other camera reviews, after much thinking.

Therefore I don’t think, from a limited test, that your post is correctly titled. Older reviews are there but you need the general search facility to find them.

The review filter (pull down list by category) which replaces the old filter might function better on a computer. Safari on ipad (not so much on up-to-date mac) is not always properly supported. E,g Flickr Camera Roll has only worked properly in this year’s Safari update on this ipad, which is a few years old now.

3. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

I can confirm that no old reviews have been removed from the site. The old review search widget unfortunately didn't survive our transition to a new website last year, but if you type the camera you're looking for into the search box at the top of the page, you should find it.

Here, for example, is our 2011 review of the rather fine Pentax K-5:

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/pentax-k-5

4. Chester AP

Thank you for the reply.

Following PeteRob's reply above, I have tried using the search box for 'Pentax K-5' and found the original review of my camera body (which was one of the reasons for its purchase some years ago).

Logically, the 'Reviews' tab at the top of the page is where somebody would start when looking for a review, which explains my comment about being 'well hidden' since one must know where else to look. Perhaps there might be room on the page to explain that the tab is only for recent stuff, and that archive stuff must be found by searching.

Next time there is any transition/maintenance/enhancement/upgrade/taking to a new level of the website (pick your favourite term), the expected working of the 'Reviews' tab might be corrected to work as previously.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Also "Amateur Photographer Pentax K-5 review" works just fine using Google, Bing and Duck-duck-go!

6. Chester AP

If somebody has the power to rename this thread from 'Old reviews removed from AP website' to 'Old reviews no longer listed on the Reviews tab' if would be helpful to anybody reading it. Or perhaps just add a question mark to the end of the original title.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It seems that the pre internet reviews have not been digitised. Not to worry. I know why I bought my Exacta llb, and later Spotmatic.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It’s the internet, nothing is perfect and there are no rules. Most sites are the same.

9. Chester AP

I have just looked at this again, and many more old reviews are now on the DSLR reviews tab, although the option to select a manufacturer has not been reinstated.

Also, the ancient Sigma mirrorless cameras that still appear in the DSLR listings in the magazine are also included in the DSLR reviews on the website.