1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Outlook data stored as .pst files .. how to open & read?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Rupert49, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I have 2.37GB of archived Outlook data that I saved in 2009 when I finished work.

When I click any of the files to open them I get a window asking: 'How do you want to open this type of file (.pst)?' and 'Look for an App in the store' (my OS is Windows 8.1 x64bit). I no longer have Outlook Express (my company's email client at the time) and for what it's worth these days I have Mozilla Thunderbird.

Can anyone tell me how I can open and read the information that I've archived, please?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know about Outlook Express but I suspect that PST files saved from Outlook may be security locked, perhaps keyed to the machine or the particular Exchange Server. I've had trouble opening archived .PST files when I've changed computers.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I may be being naive but have you got an import files option in the application you are using?

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Thunderbird should be able to open the files - check here.