1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Old looking" flashes

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by T_Sargeant, Aug 4, 2004.

1. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Right... this is going to be an odd question. I've got (well, am getting, still borrowing at the moment) a Mamiya C330, lovely old tlr with a cold shoe on the side with a flash synch cable socket, and an s/x selector switch. I love this camera, mostly because it's so comfortable and takes great pictures but partly because of the added "respect" you get holding it, people tend to treat you like a "proper" photographer because it's such a huge (and old fashioned looking) piece of kit. My problem is I want to find an x synch flash (no flash bulbs, I don't have the time to keep chasing down replacement bulbs and I wouldn't know where to start!) that looks "old" and doesn't look like some tacky piece of plastic on the side of my beautiful C330. I fully realise that this is snobbery of the highest order and I usually believe that form should follow function, but in this case, I want something pretty! I love the old "reporters" style of flash gun, the bulb ones with a little spin out silver cone. If anyone can offer me any advice at all (even if it's to say I may as well search for the goose that lays the golden eggs), I'd appreciate it, thank you!
    Tom

P.S. Yes, I realise I use far to many " "'s and ( )'s in my posts!

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

[​IMG]

This one from Hasselblad looks the part better than some. Unfortunately its auto-TTL only. Have a look at Metz hammerheads, which can be found s/h quite often.

Tim BSRIPN
    <font color=blue>"A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond"</font color=blue>

3. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Dear Tom,
    Can't really help you with you enquiry, but I thought I'd just 'pen' a few words of agreement regarding the Mamiya TLRs. I've owned 2 C330Fs and an assortment of lenses. In terms of value for money I think they're hard to beat. I've used the Mamiya at many weddings (that and a Mamiya RB67), and I agree wholeheartedly that one looks like a 'proper ' photographer. For the record, I use a Metz hammerhead flash for official photography and a little Cobra thingummyjig for any and everything else (and yes, it does look tacky and no, I don't think your being snobbish). Regards TAXOR

4. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Right, time for a little DIY I think... now, this probably won't work, but I think it's worth a try... Basically those old petal flashes are easy enough to get a hold of for a couple of pounds, in fact I've got one of my dads old ones, it's a really nice compact thing. Now what I'm suggesting is I take my little el cheapo automatic flash, cannibalise it, and put all the circuitry into the the body of the petal one, and point the bulb area inwards towards the petals so it bounces out, then of course the light sensor somewhere near the front... Now, this is just a pet project and I can't imagine it will produced wonderful results, but it gives me something to do /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif Well, I'll keep you updated, btw, if anything thinks that doing something like this will end up with me electrocuting myself, please say!

Tom

<font color=purple> When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. </font color=purple>

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, you'll probably end up electrocuting yourself! I would be very, very wary of tinkering with any electronic flash.
    That said, as a Rollei fanatic I have access to the Rolleiflash, a wonderful-looking bulb unit that fits onto the outer bayonet of the lens. I am aware of some conversions to electronic flash.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

6. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Not vary nice when you get a shock from a flash unit.
    I pulled apart a disposable to get the film out, when it was fully charged...

Do'h

<font color=purple>I got my hair cut, and got a job. Now what../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif</font color=purple>

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Can you still get bulbs Nick?

Remind me how the exposure was calculated - was it like a basic flashgun and a mental calculation based on guide number to work out the aperture?

David

8. cyril balmer

cyril balmer Active Member

Being the owner of a 330, I would go for a hammerhead and camera bracket.Plenty of them around. All these digi blokes are dead scared of high trigger voltages and selling their old flash`s offcheap. I have a VIVITAR 365 that takes 6 C batteries.
    Squibs

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I haven't, although there are a couple of sources - I can't remember which machine I've bookmarked them on! Actually, the battery is almost harder to obtain.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?