1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old lenses on new cameras

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 11, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Clearly there is nothing inherently wrong with using old lenses on newer cameras, however, I moved to AF because I couldn't achieve the results I wanted with MF lenses. For me, at least, using old lenses would defeat the object of having the newer cameras.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very true. Still, both approaches can be fun! :D

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Quite a number of people seem to greatly enjoy trying out old lenses, enjoyment being an important part of the photography experience. I prefer using the Fujifilm lenses on my CSC, I do have an adapter to enable me to use my Nikon lenses on it as well should I wish.

4. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I took this with a Minolta 50mm f1.7 lens on my Sony A77 MkI at an ISO of 1000. Probably could have upped the ISO a bit higher for a faster shutter speed. It was getting dark and cold, despite being 'summer'.
    The Royal Duchy. Railway Touring Company #6233 Duchess of Sutherland on the sea wall at Langstone Rock bridge.
    [​IMG]

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Just out of Dawlish, on its way to Dawlish Warren, Starcross, Powderham, Exminister, Exeter St. Thomas, and Exeter St. Davids. I wonder how many of those stations still exist today.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A quick look on openstreetmap says most - Starcross is so close to Powderham that a separate station looks unlikely.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

There certainly used to be one. Powderham Castle is the ancestral home of the Courtenay's, the Earls of Devon. When the South Devon Railway Company, later bought by the Great Western Railway, wanted to run a line through their estate it was agreed, but with the proviso that there must be a station at Powderham for the use of the residents of the castle. Mind you, that was back in 1844, and I guess things were a bit different back then. In the days of my youth it was know as a 'halt' and all trains bar the Cornish Riviera were required to slow down enough to stop if someone was on the platform ready to board the train.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’m only going on the openstreet map view of the line. It should show halts as stations. I think there are still request stops.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member