1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Old lenses......are they just for old men?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Feb 20, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Maybe it's that old lenses are for photographing old men?;)

New, fast aperture AF lenses are for when I don't know where the action is going to be.......

jasjump.jpg

.....one from Perth last weekend.

70-200 and I'm glad the RAW converter supports it as she had CA on her belly and at other venues the background is a brick wall which tends to show distortion. Don't think I've got and use any lenses I haven't been glad of software correction at some point or other.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, but they have a driving motive ..... money. :D Don't get me wrong, I like new kit too.

3. Zubzubadoodle

Zubzubadoodle Member

An old lens everyone should try is one of the Helios 44M series. 58mm with wonderfully weird bokeh when wide open (I believe that is the current term for odd blurry bits).
    [​IMG]Sculpture 2017-05-14 by Zubzub Fruntkin, on Flickr

The Tair 300mm photosniper lens is also very good - and of course it looks cool....
    [​IMG]Photosniper by Zubzub Fruntkin, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan, Zou and Wab like this.
  4. Wab

Wab Well-Known Member

^^^You could get some great shots in and around high security airports with the photosniper.

DaveM399 likes this.
  5. Zubzubadoodle

Zubzubadoodle Member

Don't think I'll be trying that in a hurry. But I did use it around the village where I live and at RSPB Saltholm recently and nobody batted an eyelid. The stock does a very good stabilisation job when 'shooting' moving wildfowl.

Wab likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Another shot with the 17mm Tamron AD2. It's not an easy lens to use but when I find the right subject I like it a lot. This is the newly refurbished (1 week old) coffee shop at Fields of Sidmouth.

Canon Eos 5D_two 8GB 12 IMG_0238.JPG

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Ye gods, Andrew - that balding fellow in the foreground with his back to the camera could be me!

8. Andrew Flannigan

I've a bit of a thing for Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses. The 300mm f5.6 SP is another very attractive buy. Mine cost me 10p per millimetre which seems quite reasonable. I then found the not so common Adaptall-2 SP teleconverter for another £18. The difference between this and ordinary teleconverters is that it fits between the lens and the adapter. Hence you can use it with any body for which you can find an adapter. (just like all the lenses in the range). This shot was taken on an Eos 5D through both the 300mm and the 2X converter...

Canon Eos 5D_two 8GB 12 IMG_0255.JPG

9. Andrew Flannigan

I know the previous picture looks incredibly lifelike ;) but it really is a stuffed toy and yes - this label really does emerge from where you think...

Canon Eos 5D_two 8GB 12 IMG_0256.JPG

10. Andrew Flannigan