1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Gate

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gazza77, Nov 14, 2013.

1. gazza77

gazza77 Well-Known Member

If not what you're expecting, that's the name of the street the houses are on.

I took this on Sunday morning, during the same walkabout that I took all the HDR processed shots. This however isn't HDR, and despite that, I've still pulled the saturation back quite a lot from the raw file as it was just so bright it didn't look at all realistic, despite the fact it really was pretty much that intense when I took it!

[​IMG]
    Old Gate by 77gazza, on Flickr

2. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

I think that clarity is overdone and too bright. Colours are cold too.

3. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Light wasn't on your side - it's too harsh and because of that you've lost lots of details.

4. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer a bit more punch to the colours, just looks washed out.

I would also crop some from the bottom to lose the dark road/path or whatever it is.

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Great potential here, and cropping from the right and bottom would take away a lot of extraneous detail. Looks suspiciously like HDR to me, but might just be the harsh light.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

agree it does look HDR to me also, not that used correctly I dislike HDR, just not here

sorry over processed for me

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You are letting it over expose. Best to get back some of the contrast you'd expect with shadows almost blocked up. Matrix metering can cause that. [​IMG]

8. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

It's very 'busy' and difficult on the eye. From the water I'm guessing the exposure was around half a second and maybe thats why it looks over exposed in places? It looks like a great scene though and on a better day it would make a stunning shot.

Mick

9. gazza77

gazza77 Well-Known Member

Strangely I wouldn't have specifically stated it wasn't HDR if it was. ;) It's had very little processing beyond a little desaturation and shadows lifting. In reality it was very soft early morning light with deep colours and huge contrast, but none of the 3 or 4 shots I took reflected that. No amount of post processing seems to replicate what my eyes saw, one to try again a different day I guess. And ref the cropping comment, it's the river in the foreground ;)

10. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

Funny I thought that when I read it, like.. why would he lie? haha!!

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Like Mick (mcgoo) I find it too busy, and the outline of the demolished house is neither strong enough to be the centre of interest nor unobtrusive enough not to be distracting.

Cheers,

R.