1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old full frame or new APS-C?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by mikechopragant, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mikechopragant

mikechopragant Active Member

Hi
    I'm toying with the idea of buying a new camera body and can't decide whether it would be better to go full frame and get a mark 1 EOS5D or stick with APS-C and go for a Pentax K5. Both cost about the same. Lenses aren't an issue as I have some in both systems nor is the lack of live view and video capability on the EOS. Which do people think is a better option in the long term?

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

I have both APS-C and full frame - a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D700 with same pixel count - 12.3 Mp. The full frame images are dramatically deeper and richer than the APS-C to the point where I don't use the APS-C any more.

APS-C is very expensive on marque lenses for wide angle so full frame has many more reasonable options. Though I have heard of people who only shoot small wildlife and find the crop factor an advantage of in that it turns say a modest priced 400mm into a 600mm.

3. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Hi, always full frame over APS-C the quality is massively better in colour, sharpness and whilst second hand, the build quality of the 5D is much higher.

Regards
    Ian

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

EOS 5d bodies are available at below £400 now, and are surely superior to an entry level crop frame, in terms of image quality and build.

5. thornrider

I'm afraid I don't believe this - this is the sort of things kids with a Fiesta XR2 say about an Audi A6 - they both do the same speed. They are missing the point!!

6. ianwaite

Yep, but your XR2 is usually nicked before you get to drive it! Not the best analogy, the A6 will always be a safer, more robust, more comfortable car. Just like a EOS 5D over and APS-C Nikon.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A strange analogy, playing Devil's Advocate?

Aside of this, when the hell did you last see a Fiesta XR2?

Actually I think you are missing the point, but hey?

8. thornrider

I reckon someone has hi-jacked your keyboard - couldn't believe you of all people would say such a thing - so you have to have an intruder - hope nothings nicked.

9. thornrider

The point I am trying to make is that people gain their impression of a cameras worth solely from how many megapixels it has. It discounts build quality, durability,component quality, ruggedness - in other words quality.

10. ianwaite

Totally agree, thats why it would have to be the 5D all day long!

Ian

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A point you are actually failing to make in this thread. The EOS 5d is far better built than an entry level camera and does not have an overpopulated sensor.

12. ianwaite

Totally agree!

Ian

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

:confused: I am confused... Wich one is suposed to be the full frame? The (no it was never that good) Fiesta or the new Audi. I get the feeling you are comparing a old overhyped APS-C to a new Full frame here...?

14. ianwaite

I think both sides of the argument are claiming the Audi, for different reasons! For me the 5D is the Audi, for reasons of build quality, robustness, good performance, good sensor (not overpopulated like 20MP APS-C) and is a proven professional level camera. The XR2 is the Cheap End Nikon which is made to a price for entry level users.

Regards
    Ian

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Back to the original question...

I owned an original 5D for some time. It was a great camera, but the rear screen is poor, and above all, it's a dust magnet - you spend a lot of time cleaning the sensor. I would also say that the Pentax is one of the best APS-C cameras yet - all of which makes it a trickier choice than I think some are suggesting. Both are great cameras in very different ways; I'm not absolutely convinced I would necessarily get the 5D, but it's a tricky one. As ever, I would recommend trying both out - I personally find the Pentax rather uncomfortable, which in the end would probably decide it for me, but YMMV.

16. thornrider

That's the point I was trying to make too. The analogy was supposed to make it easier - sorry if it didn't do the job. Buy the secondhand 5D and not an entry level anything.

17. ianwaite

Good to see we are on the same page my friend, sorry for the mis-understanding thought you were arguing the other way.

regards as always
    ian

18. thornrider

Usually analogies are my friend - this time I caught a cold.

19. simples

simples Well-Known Member

Get a FF!
    I bought a new 50D ( 1.6). I'm keeping it, but I bought a FF 5D MKI for £450 and it's my favourite camera!
    All I'd say, is, cameras come and go, lenses last forever. Put you money into lenses, you can buy and sell bodies anytime!

20. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member