1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Col. Hogan, Mar 14, 2000.

1. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's spouse told me that they had an old camera that still had film in it. It turns out that it is 116 film, I believe that is the type they mentioned. They tried a local pro shop, with no success. Are there any labs that would process such a film anywhere?

2. 0

0 Guest

Kodak sometime during the 1980's discontinued manufacturing obscure film sizes (620 included). George Gilbert's book (Collecting Photographica, published by Hawthorn Books, New York, 1976) states that the exposed picture area of 116 film usually is about 2.5" x 4.25". Since it probably is rather wider than today's 120 roll film (2.25" format), it will not fit onto currently available developing reels. Relatively few labs process black & white film nowadays, let alone touch an obsolete film size. Depending upon how the camera was stored during the years, the film might be rather fogged.

Your friends might try locating a skilled amateur darkroom worker (maybe even an enthusiast student with access to school darkroom) who has experimented with using tray development for roll films (see-sawing the film through the developer and other chemicals).

This might be an exciting teaching project for Col. Hogan to undertake. A protective plastic sheet covering the floor, plus a gallon of each b&w chemical in deep plastic pails, plus a darkened room during night time at your friend's home, equals a fun opportunity to expose (excuse the pun) your friends to the magic of film development. Far better for generating memories than a night out on the town; you and your friends will reminisce for years about that night. What have they got to lose?

3. domroberts

domroberts Well-Known Member

I know I am just a bit late in replying, but I have a few facts and thoughts to throw in.

116 film was finally discontinued by Kodak in 1984, ending 85 years of the format's history. The two final emulsions being Kodacolor II and the old classic Verichrome Pan. Practically no processing houses still accommodate 116 film (2.5 in).

However, for those intersted, I have started a service in the UK aimed at processing most old and outdated films. I can process all sizes up to 118 and 122 (the old 'postcard' size of 3.5 in)

Dom Roberts - Commercial URL removed

4. Amateur

Amateur Well-Known Member

I for one would be interested to hear if whatever solution you find works - not to mention what the images contain :)

I M Amateur
    Olympic Athlete
    Sydney
    Oz