1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Old fashioned laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by velocette, May 24, 2020.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I am in need of a desk based laptop to replace my desktop which I can't access that often now. My existing 10 year old laptop was bought primarily for email and simple tasks and struggles with anything like Lightroom. I don't need anything light and battery life is irrelevant as it'll never be unplugged. My existing laptop has only left my desk twice in 10 years and that was to go upstairs to sit alongside the desktop for software loading so portability is not a factor.
    Most reasonable laptops today seem to major on being light and portable which is a minor thing to me. I thought of a mini PC but having to put away and store screens and keyboards would make those non starters against a laptop. I have a budget of £600 and was wondering if anyone on the forum might have any suggestions of possible kit or suppliers.
    Peter

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I am also interested in the same way.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

What about an "all in one" pc, just need to add a keyboard and mouse. Small footprint - basically a deep screen.
    We have one as the family computer, and everyone can use it as well as their own portable tablets, laptops phones etc.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have to move and you need a small footprint then the all-in-one is an idea. I bought an iMac in 2012 (which is an all-in-one) and that is my personal computer. I use a second wide-gamut monitor for photo-editing though the iMac screen isn't "bad". I've no idea how the PC all-in-one screens shape up. I have Windows desk-top PC too for work purposes but I found I couldn't manage without a Windows laptop for those times I had to travel to meetings.

Desk top and lap-top are Levono (used to be IBM PC division, bought by the Chinese years ago) which work OK. The lap-top screen isn't good enough for photography but I will use it as a temporary measure when travelling. If I have to use the laptop for any length of time I use an external keyboard and monitor as laptops by themselves are not ergonomic. My choice of laptop was decided on biggest screen area I could find, it ain't light and is a real squeeze to get into my old computer bag. I've not used the desk top for photography and it has almost the cheapest monitor I could find in PC World.

If you are running Lightroom and want a laptop foremost then the graphics card is probably the main difference between models and if you were to run a bigger second screen for photo-editing this would control the refresh performance. That said, my iMac doesn't have a card with much memory (512 MB I think) and the computer only has 8MB and it runs LR classic OK provided I don't flick through the library too quickly with full screen set.

5. Catriona

Botheration! Now my speakers have gone intermittent! Must contact shop tomorrow. :(

6. velocette

Guys, thanks for the replies. An all in one would ideal but be too big as it needs to be able to fold and 'disappear' into my desk to make room for all the other things I currently need some of which end up on top of the laptop!
    Peter

Catriona likes this.
  7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I would have thought most full size laptops will happily run Lightroom. Like Pete I opted for biggest screen dimensions and ended up with an Acer. It's 6 years old now, but quite happily runs Photshop cs6.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You could always get a bigger desk! I discovered the wonderful world of second-hand office furniture, which is basically house clearance conducted on a grand scale. Got basically the same set up as I had at work with a big curvy ‘L’ desk extended with matching cabinets, all delivered. I forget what I paid but it was not a lot of money.

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

One thing that is rare these days with laptops is an internal DVD/CD drive. If needed, you might need to add an external one into the budget. That would take up one of your USB ports.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you need more USB ports there are various docking stations available, if my Mac was a USB-C version I would definitely be considering one.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I use a three year old Lenovo (320 but model numbers seem to change every six months) for exactly that job it is more or less permanently connected to an auxiliary 24 inch screen the thing that makes it best for me is the fact that it has a full number pad on the RHS of the keyboard. Of course if if ,you are a trained typist you will prefer the numbers along the top of the letters. SWIMBO has a similar but newer one that moves around the house for ZOOM reunions etc. the printer is connected wirelessly so SWIMBO and I share that

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  12. velocette

My existing 10 year old laptop is a Lenovo which is still giving good service but is straining under it's new details. I have a spare old desktop and good screen however I just don't have the room for it, or them. I'm space deficient and anything must fold away. It looks like my 60 years + playing with photographs has at last come to an end.
    Peter

13. Catriona

It just struck me that there might be another route to try.
    Both my computer shops sell refurbished models. It may well be the way I go to get what I want. My lot also build boxes from scratch which is what I'm using.
    However, is it possible for you to talk to your places and if you describe what you need they might help you get the right one?
    It's worth a try. It would be a shame to give up now.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Any £600 laptop should be fine for your requirements. If the non-essential shops reopen, perhaps you could visit John Lewis or Currys and see what you prefer. That budget, somewhat surprisingly, is almost the starting point for laptops.

Could your desk be altered to put a screen on a shelf with a pc on the floor?

Have you considered tablets?

15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Be careful of tablets - the best bargains often run the Android OS and I think that Lightroom etc. may have problems with that OS. As it happens I have been looking closely at computers as two grandchildren needed to access on line lessons immediately, and we decided that should we only buy items that are actually in stock not "coming in soon Sir" That cult down the choice significantly but JL came up trumps with a special bulk purchase from HP and I ended up only £29 over that £300 budget, you might need to go slightly higher for you requirements but not much I fancy.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom System Requirements
    Processor: Intel® or AMD processor with 64-bit support*; 2 GHz or faster processor
    • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) or Windows 10**
    • RAM: 4 GB of RAM (12 GB recommended)
    • Hard disk space: 2 GB of available hard-disk space for program installation.
    • Monitor resolution: 1024 x 768 display
    Almost every laptop will meet that spec nowadays, but many will be on the lower 4GB of RAM limit however most will use SSD storage which is about 20 times faster than the old hard disc drives.- that may make for the lesser RAM

Cheers and hope all goes well

16. velocette

Thanks for the help.
    I finally ended up with another Lenovo ThinkBook 15 i7 with 16gb and a 512gb SSD. It was slightly above my budget at £811 from Ebuyer but it ticked all my boxes and does have a good number of USB ports. So far it seems a good buy and although a compromise compared to my desktop and Ultrasharp It'll let me do most things I need and folds nicely away when not in use.

Learning and Catriona like this.