1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old chemicals

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Zou, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I have some DD-X, Ilfostop and Rapid Fixer which are in opened bottles. How long opened? I'm guessing at least 8 years, maybe up to 10. There's a tiny part of me that says shoot a test film and see how it goes but I don't want to waste my time or get crappy/no results.

Time to say goodbye, and just get some new stuff? If so, hello Rodinal! ;)

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

There are too many variables to predict, many photographic chemicals will oxidise if air contact is allowed. If air is excluded they've been kept cool & in the dark they may still be usable. With all the variables involved I'd be inclined just to replace them - and I usually err on the side of keeping rubbish :)

Zou likes this.
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I'll soon be starting on a "new" bottle of Rodinal - one of 2 that I bought at an auction. I expect it to work as well as my current almost empty bottle, which I bought around 15 years ago.

Zou likes this.
  4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try Rodinal semi-stand. Cuts down the grain, nice results and at 1:100 , even the tight-fisted amongst me doesn't mind the cost.

S

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  5. John Farrell

I use 1:50, 2 films in the tank - just under 13ml of Rodinal per process.

6. John Farrell

Another auction purchase (with a pile of other stuff) was a sealed bottle of Paterson Acufix, with a use by date of 2005. I'll be interested to see if it still clears film, and is usable.

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Stop bath will be fine, fixer probably has crystals in it which if warmed will go back into solution, the DDX is not know for keeping so make some up and do a clip test from a leader but you will probably end up chucking it out.
    You did say in another post that you were looking for more grain, the Rodinal should see you good for grain. I wanted to try one of the xtol replacements but could not find stocks of Fomadon W27 when I was looking earlier in the year.
    It would be interesting to see how your 54 HP5 pushed in W27, the original xtol was good with that sort of thing. I vaguely remember someone on RFF using Xtol and Rodinal cocktail, stand I think but I can't recall the details.

Zou likes this.
  8. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I expect it will fine, again a clip test will soon tell you.

John Farrell likes this.
  9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'd just get rid of it and get some Rodinal .
    For what you pay for film your better with some developer you can trust .

I had a bottle of "something" , I forget what , that was part used . I filled the airspace up with glass marbles and squeezed out the last be if air before putting the lid on .
    It had been opened a couple of years back .
    I did a clip test which was fine , developed a couple of rolls which were fine .
    The next weekend I went to develop some more film with a fresh mix and it had died , they came out almost transparent ( including the rebait print ) .

Since then I've used Rodinal and never had it go off .
    I like the results from it as well . I use it at 1+50 .

The fixer I would replace for fresh for piece of mind , if your picking some developer up , or having it delivered , you might as well .
    Although it would be easy enough to do a clip test to see how long it takes to clear it , if at all .

The stop will be the same pH still , so will function correctly still , so you might as well use it up .

Zou likes this.