1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh bollocks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nicxx, Feb 15, 2003.

1. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

..I was halfway through a Buy It Now bid on a Vivitar 283 on ebay when it got Bought Now. Git.

Oh well. I was undecided anyway, i thought at £69 I might as well get a new one with a guarantee etc than one 15 years old or whatever, even though I know they last.

Whaddya think, shall I buy the 285 for the extra 30 quid or will I not need the extras? Zoom flash? Comment?

ermx

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I have owned a Vivitar 283 flash for many years Erm and have found it to be an excellent, powerful and utterly reliable unit. The 285 has a manually operated zoom head if I'm not mistaken which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot because in my experience you never have the shagging thing on the right focal length setting when you are using a zoom. Forget the 285, save the pennies and get the 283, the zoom head thing is no big deal as the 283 is powerful enough and has a sufficiently wide spread to cover most focal lengths. I don't know if Jessops still sell it new but it will be money well spent if they do. Don't spend too much on a secondhand example though, £45.00 is about right for a clean used specimen.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

3. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I thought, Will you know, you are so full of useful information today, it's amazing what a night without beerdom can do for you! Sadly I have already polished off 2 glasses, the only way is down...

ermx

4. neilford

neilford Well-Known Member

Unfortnately ebay's Buy It Now feature has turned the site into nothing more than a dirty great classifieds section these days. No point really bidding on anything that has a Buy It Now price as chances are someone will just snap it up.

- Neil.
    http://www.smudgypixels.net/

5. BigWill

.......sometimes I surprise myself Erm.........mind you, wouldn't want to make a habit of this sobriety shit!

BigWill

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Try 7dayshop.com. They had a decent deal on the 283 and 285. The 285 has built-in manual ratio control - it costs extra for the 283. Me, I like the 283, because my Sto-fen fits it as well as the Canon 430EZ.

Nick BSRIPN

7. BigWill

.......so that's where you've been "stuffin'" your "Sto-fen"! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Have you seen this Will?

That's what I was alluding to in my post - the 285 includes a varipower option, albeit not quite as all-inclusive.

Nick BSRIPN

10. BigWill

Now there's a novelty!......................and all for a very reasonable £12.45! Mind you, I usually use full power for those long range shots of Jeri Ryan at her bedroom window cause it's a long way from the bushes in her garden!

Good one Chris. Now where did I put that hammer? That piggy bank's for it! Mind you, last time I smashed it there was only 6p in change and a bent washer!

BigWill

11. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Nicola

If you are quick, somebody is getting their 283 kit off in the For Sale or Wanted forum.

David

12. RichardHardwick

RichardHardwick Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's getting rather chilly.

Thanks for the mention, I didn't know whether it was good form for me to plug my advert here.

13. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Items for sale go into the forum set aside for that but there's no harm in drawing attention to an item specifically mentioned by a member. It helps both buyer and seller.

I've already got a 283 myself or else I might be interested.

David

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"it's amazing what a night without beerdom can do for you! Sadly I have already polished off 2 glasses, the only way is down... 12 steps to the basement/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

15. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Oh nooooo sorry, I havent been on here for days so I didnt see this message and Ive gawn and bought one now. Damn.

ermx

16. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Thank you Chris, I've been looking for one of these for ages. Ordered it just, we'll wait and see just how long 7 days is in the virtual world rather than here /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Cohen the Kosher cock [​IMG]

17. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

7 dayshop orders...

...I always ring my orders through now - that way I know what is and what is not being sent straight away:)

Chris [​IMG] ...that’s why I’m digital, cos I just [​IMG] being in control...