1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off on hols…

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 27, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I NEVER take “proper” cameras when we go on holiday
    It’s usually a travel zoom, underwater compact and my iPhone
    Yet, I always regret it, there’s always something I see that I just know I’d have nailed it had I had my real camera with me.

After weeks of musing over what to take I finally settled on a 6D with 40mm stm, 100d with 18-55 is stm & 55-250 is stm. Plus my compacts. I’ve added a small tabletop tripod. Both cameras have 128gb cards fitted. iPhone has apps to control both the 6d and lumix tz70 remotely.

Decided against neck straps and fitted wrist straps to both.

So, do you consider my choice good or not.
    I can still swap and change ;)
    We leave at 5am in the morning!!

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

One camera should be more than sufficient. If you have the space it doesn’t matter.

3. pixelpuffin

I’m trying to cover all bases, with minimum kit!
    We are driving so it’s all stuffed in a domke ready. love the idea of full frame with the 40mn
    But it will be useless trying to capture son on his wave board ( hence 100d & 55-250) if I go in the sea I need pics to prove ( underwater camera) travel zoom for partner to record as she wishes.
    If I could pare it down I would, but I think that’s pretty basic for what I intend to cover.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Depends on where you are going, to a great extent. A travel zoom may suffice if there is not likely to be anything in the way of architecture, street photography, museum exhibits in poor lighting conditions etc. OTOH a DSLR and the TZ may be a better option. Hard to say without knowing more of the situation

5. pixelpuffin

Cornwall
    Hayle to be precise

6. IvorETower

Definitely DSLR and travel zoom compact

7. pixelpuffin

Thanks
    Both 6d and 100d
    Or just the 6d and TZ70

8. IvorETower

Oh, if space/weight is an issue,, I'd say just the 6D (plus lenses) and TZ70

9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Naturally, everyone has different requirements, but this combination alone would suffice for me. "Keep it simple", and all that. :) YMMV, of course.

I used to have a 5D + the 40mm. That lens suited me so damned well, that when I abandoned the Canon system, the loss of the 40mm was my biggest regret. :(

10. pixelpuffin

Agree on the 40mm
    I do prefer using the 5d
    But it’s heavy and doesn’t have WiFi
    So the 6d seems a better option
    Would you go 6d/40 plus the travel zoom. I do love the 100d, but I’m concerned I’ll fret constantly which body to use.
    How about adding a 28mm to the 40 along with the tz70??

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So the only issue really is security for what you take! Weight ain't an issue if you don't have to carry it.

12. peterba

Well, I don't like using zooms, generally, so I wouldn't. But if you're comfortable with using the zoom, then that's what really matters. :)

For the avoidance of "fretting" about what to use, IMO, the best way is to take the bare minimum. That way, you don't have the choice, so you've just got to use what you've got.

Simple!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  13. pixelpuffin

Exactly
    I’ve just taken out the 100d kit
    I do like zooms, but I rarely ever use them between the extremes. I’m either at the widest setting or maximum setting
    Never in between.
    The little travel compact is fine and has served us well.
    I’ll see how I go with the 6d & 40stm.
    I may become frustrated and vow never again or it may open my eyes!

We’ll see

cheers

peterba likes this.
  14. peterba

That's one of the reasons that I stopped using zooms! (the other reason being that I simply don't enjoy them as much as primes. :))

If you find yourself only using the focal length at each end of a zoom, then a prime lens of those two focal lengths will serve equally well. They'll also probably be faster (max. aperture), and probably provide better image quality (if that's a concern). Obviously, switching lenses will be slower than zooming between max. and min. zoom, but unless you're following sports, or other rapid-action events, it doesn't really matter (IMO).

15. pixelpuffin

You’ve hit the nail on the head as sports is all I do take these days
    I merely follow the action and try to anticipate the shot.
    Going solo, so to speak, with one prime lens is going to be a wake up call
    I’m actually excited that choice has been removed.

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

It can be difficult at first, but once you've got into the 'one camera, one lens' mentality, it can be liberating. That can make photography fun again - especially if you've been finding yourself overburdened by having too much kit. (and haven't we all been there, at some point? :D)

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I bought a compact (Fuji X100V) for that reason.

They generally are not at their best at the ends - especially the long end - unless you spend a lot of money. The Canon 100-400 mk ii matches the 400 F5.6, at twice the price but it does have IS.

18. peterba

Likewise, Pete. I got the x100 shortly after it came out, following years of adding lenses to a DSLR kit. I really wanted to reduce the amount of gear I had, so I chopped-in various items against the Fuji. I still have the x100, and I still use it, a great deal.

The only flaw in my plan was that - despite having seriously reduced my DSLR kit - over the ensuing years, I somehow* managed to acquire another couple of digital compact cameras with fixed lenses. Oh, and a couple of film cameras. Well, several film cameras, actually! :oops: :D

*hopeless case :confused:

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My only camera options are Nikon D3 or D4 for digital and Nikon F5 for film. All three are pretty much the same size, the F5 is lighter, and use a same AF-S lenses. The only other option is one body or two. Yes I have a 1 J5 but that rarely goes anywhere.

I want simplicity so only very similar bodies with the same range of lenses, no need to relearn the controls or decide which body matches the occasion, just pick one up, add a lens and go.

Enjoy your holiday.

20. pixelpuffin

Well no going back now…I’ve arrived!
    Strangely a 28mm must have fallen into the bag by accident!!
    Dear me, but not to worry. I fully intend going solo for a week.

peterba likes this.