1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 2021 Theme: Looking Up

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by RovingMike, Oct 2, 2021.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well, this is really tough. I love so much of what you have all posted, covering all meanings of Looking Up, so sorry if I have to fail to mention many great shots. Zou started us off really well with lots of flats, his ceiling #5 and the intriguing pinhole #12. Dan did a great job on mono architecture and I love his feet #40. Nige's Shanghai #40 and lots more, especially Looking down to look up #194 and the fan #182. Pete's Beluga and neck-cricking bird. Keith's ceilings #58 & #63 and especially Live View #202 as one opf the best person looking up shots.
    Love Geren's balloon over the barbed wire #89, that really has something. Also the Berlin shot #92 and Braehead #111. Jack's web or whatever #110 and the two red umbrellas #147 and his Waiter in the rain, was another one of the strongest people looking up entries. Liked Roger's Canary Wharf shot #127 having been there just a couple of days ago and love Tony's Perspective #145.

For me the decision was all about the looking up, be it person, camera angle, or whatever, being the key point of the idea. A shot that only works because of it. Take that element away and there is really no worthwhile shot. So here are my very, very, near misses, all of which do that superbly, as do many others:

[​IMG]

But the one that adds a real seeing-eye element that just makes it that tiny bit better for me is this:

[​IMG]

So well done all, but especially Keith.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done to you all!

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mentions, and well done Keith. Great shot.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A very worthy winner indeed. Thanks for a great theme, the judging and the mentions. And congrats to Keith!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good topic and well chosen winner. Well done Keith.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the mention

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Thank you Mike, I did not expect that at all especially as there are so many strong architectural photographs in the fifteen pages of images. Having said that
    I do like Jack's waiter in the rain and those two red umbrellas plus the feet on the glass bridge.

I guess that I need to set a theme for November, I think that I will need a little time on Monday to look through some of the previous monthly themes as setting one of these is not something I have though about.
    Once again thank you Mike for setting October's theme and thank you to everyone that entered it is always a pleasure to see how other people interpret the theme and how people are influenced by each other as the month unfolds.

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Well done Keith.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There are indeed and I expected to be choosing one, but in the end it is impossible to separate them. They all stand out, so none really stand out. Plus, (for mine as well as everyone else's) looking up is a natural POV for architecture. It needs the surprise element, which I have to say Geren's #92 has and I meant to include it in the lot of great ones at the end. Apologies for losing it somewhere.

EightBitTony, Dan S and dream_police like this.
  10. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, another great theme.

Well done Keith, a fantastic shot and a worthy winner... Best of luck choosing the next theme

zx9r likes this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

and you think this would be hard?? Haha!

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Congrats Keith.

Thanks for the mention Mike, this is the google street view of the mirror I was shooting.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 134857.jpg

RovingMike, Dan S and Done_rundleCams like this.
  13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Congrats everyone and to, @zx9r aka Keith on a great shot and well done, @RovingMike on the judging and, FWIW, when I saw Keith's shot, I reckoned that, if I were judging, that would be the winner ..... it was so subtle :). Thanks, BTW, Mike, for the mentions :)

Cheers,

Jack

RovingMike and Dan S like this.