1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 2021 Theme: Looking Up

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by RovingMike, Oct 2, 2021.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have just done a street view search for the ice cream place and found it. http://www.gelateriadondoli.com/home-uk.html . It is actually very well known it seems. No wonder there were queues when we went, some 15+ years ago

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Done_rundleCams and RovingMike like this.
  2. dream_police

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The coffee ice cream in unforgettable.

My wife and I stayed at the hotel La Cisterna almost every year from 1998 to 2009, and I have some wonderful shots of the view from room 58 at the rear of the hotel. May and October are probably the best times to go there, although we we once there at Christmas. I don't foresee us going there again (health and funds), but if you stay there and walk around the walls at dawn you will see sunrise over the local vineyards. When I did this I had a tripod and Kodachrome, but it's probably simpler with a DSLR.

When I was last there, the gelateria had pictures on the wall of the cast and crew of the film 'Tea with Mussolini', taken when filming was done there. The film was not very good, and used shots taken from the restaurant at the hotel, complete with modern TV aerials on roofs and air conditioning units on walls of nearby buildings. It was full of lazy mistakes like this.

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  4. dream_police

For me it was the melon. It was actually like eating melon.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    Catriona likes this.
  5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

San Gimignano from IIRC the south, think we were en route from Col val d' Elsa to Volterra. SanG2.jpg

Done_rundleCams and dream_police like this.
  6. dream_police

Volterra. Another lovely town.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You are reminding me of the time we took my step-mother and half-sister to Italy for the first time.
    They fell in love with it all. My step-mother fell for a Swiss banker holidaying in the same spot. My half-sister then spent a few months in Florence and turned down an American who wanted to take her away back home. Why they didn't go, defeats me! It would have been a great relief! Ha!

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Yep, was also the nearest town that had a Lidl, we were out in the sticks a little village called Iano.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

See, those supply chain issues were nothing to do with brexit after all... :rolleyes:

dream_police and Done_rundleCams like this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

12. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

13. dream_police

Zou, Geren, Done_rundleCams and 3 others like this.
  14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

ditto :eek:

Jack

zx9r likes this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

211015-Henry-Bell-Monument.jpg

15-10-21 The Henry Bell Monument from bottom up

17. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I have to come clean, she is a captive bird and the intense look was one of anticipation for the rewards offered by her handler.
    The photo was taken during a bird of prey talk at the British Wildlife Centre, which is why it did not get a showing during the 'wild' theme in the lock down threads, instead I showed photographs of the Barn Owl family.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not my usual processing style, but taken yesterday with theme in mind.

IMG_20211015_163859389-01.jpeg

Done_rundleCams and dream_police like this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And another.

IMG_20211015_164019799-01.jpeg

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A few now from the botanics yesterday.

20211015-DSC03633.jpg

20211015-DSC03631.jpg

20211015-DSC03621.jpg

Geren, Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.