1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October, 2007 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Oct 1, 2007.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments and discussion arising from October's FirstView pictures.

2. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Sorry

I've entered a pic in every firstview so far, but I've just finished one shift, quick bite and back out again so no photo this month. I promise I'll do better in November!!

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: Sorry

[​IMG]

There is only one penalty for failure in this organization, Number 3. Make sure it does not happen again.

;-)

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hope your not having back problems Lisa, or if you are, that things are better after the visit. Or are you the dispenser perhaps? :)

5. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

D'oh! Forgot it's 1st of the month yesterday, but then that's one bad photo less on the forum... <Whistle...> :rolleyes: :D

6. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I've started so I'll finish. Only two to do. Not wholly convinced about the value of the exercise though.

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Eh? :D Pourquoi? And pourquioi are you entering if you dont like it, (no offence)?

8. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi David,

no I wasn't having any 'problems' as such but I go once a month for a pummeling which stops me having problems with my back, which has a tendency to seize up at the most inconvenient times. Lisa.

9. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

APChris - yep, nice plumbing, but it ain't finished 'til it's finished - get that earth-bonding done! ;-)

10. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

It's already been done elsewhere so doesn't need it under the sink :rolleyes: - I think?
    Electrician is comming monday to connect the cooker so I'll check with him anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I'm pretty sure you've got to do it at every sink, bath, etc. - across the hot and cold, and bridging that plastic connector. (Not sure about the flexi-pipes - you might need to bridge those as well.) But anyway, as you say, the electrician should be able to confirm one way or t'other. Anyway, it's a pretty small job compared to the plumbing. :)

12. APchris

Hmmm... will definitely check with the electrician . If it does need doing, it'll be his job as it's already bought and paid for! :D

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

The Picture thread is now closed. As per usual, if there are any latecomers the thread can be reopened for posting. Unlike usual, you might need to pm another mod for this, as I'm just away on holiday this weekend.

Thanks to all participants. :)

14. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Tis correct, and is called 'Equipotential Earth Bonding'.

Hot and cold taps must be bonded with a minimum 6 mm2 cross section cable, so that any leakage to earth will a) blow a fuse, and b) cannot create a dangerous voltage between any two fittings that might be handled at the same time with wet hands. The rules also apply if plastic pipes are used.

The earth terminal on any socket outlets near to the sink should also be bonded to pipework with 6mm cable for the same reasons.

15. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Oohh, missed it, I was away. Sure I must have taken a pic though, I'll keep an eye out for it reopening. ;)

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I took a few photos on 30 September but none on 1 October :-(

17. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Maybe it's an idea for next year: LastViewâ„¢

18. APchris

Re: Earth bonding update

huwevans said...

and Benchmark said...

Well, your not wrong... but the electrician says that regulations change in January and I only need earth bonding at or close to the point the water main enters the property.

The plumber that installed the gas cooker said earth bonding was needed at the gas connection behind the cooker, but again, the electrician said its no longer needed as long as the gas pipe is earthed at or near the the point the feed enters the property.

If the electrician is happy, the so am I. He wants to use his installation at my property for his annual NAPIT (National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers) assesment, so he'll not be cutting any corners!

19. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

That's interesting. There must be a 17th edition book of IEE regs out there. :D I'll have to update myself.

Regardless of the regs, I would always earth bond anyway. It cannot do any harm, and you are always safer with proper earth bonding than without.

What suprises me is how few so called 'electrical engineers' really understand electricity, and the reasoning behind for the IEE regs. We had an issue at our parish church, where a new distribution board had been fitted, and the circuit breakers were all tripping because their current ratings were too low.

When we called a meeting with the Oberleutnant, it transpired he was not aware that the current rating for Pyrotenax cable (mineral insualted copper cable) is much higher than for normal PVC insulated cables, and that these are actually intended to run warm. Also, that the maximum current rating for circuit breakers is higher than for wired fuses when protecting the same circuit (so called close current protection).

He defended himself by saying that the voltage drop along the cable would increase the current drawn by the electric heaters, light bulbs and so forth at the end of the cable. Err?...... :D

Ohms Law anyone? :)

20. bigsky

bigsky Well-Known Member

Yep there is, not officially out yet i believe, but the 17th are on their way

Neil