1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oban Scotland

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by IvorCamera, Sep 1, 2017.

1. singingsnapper

singingsnapper Well-Known Member

Castle Stalker's largest claim to fame was in Monty Python and the Holy Grail....

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I thought it was Highlander?

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think it was in an episode of the Avengers or something similar.

S

4. singingsnapper

Definitely one of the castles in Holy grail...

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Episode 1 of the first series of the New Avengers ('The Eagles Nest') from 1976.

Memorable to many (predominantly male) people for the scene in which the fisherman uses his fly fishing rod to remove articles of Purdey's clothing before she does some ballet-type spinning around and comprehensively kicks his...er...bottom.

Cheers, Jeff

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. singingsnapper

7. djnumberone

djnumberone Member

Very nice.I want to look at this in real LIFE!

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Its a really good place to base yourself. To the south Loch Awe is big and varied- the carpark at the Cruachan power station has bird table pine martens.The coast road to the south is also packed with opportunity. Loch Etive is usually like a mirror. Then as others have said, its an important ferry port with several island routes- long and short. Sadly I hve never thought much of the town itself.

Graeme

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I feel obliged to mention that the distillery and its whisky are lovely.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Oban is not particularly nice. It is a very good starting point.
    As for basing yourself at the Torridon camp site and traversing Liathach and Ben Eigh (on separate days with a rest day inbetween) JFDI. Even you can't do 'em on a bike.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Hoping to get up that way exploring real soon......bit far to scout out potential locations for a family camping holiday up the north west in a day so I'm trying to find 2 together so me and the dogs can go up with the wee tent to get an idea. SWMBO agreed to a bit of rough camping this year:)

12. Michal

Michal Member

Out of the way but worth visiting! Is that Dunollie Castle? :)

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have been to Oban a number of times and the last was 6-7 years ago. I went to the camp site at the far end of the town and tried to book in
    They wanted £20 for one night and I remarked how expensive it was compared to Switzerland at which the grumpy old lady suggested I F....off to Switzerland. I didn't stay but found a much nicer place a few miles down the road (The usual going rate for a small campsite was at that time about £12 a night).

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

She had a point I guess.:)

PentaxManiac likes this.
  15. John King

A point which at the time was lost on me. There was a campervan and a family waiting to come in as well and when they heard this they also turned around and left as well. There is no need to be rude when dealing with a customer with MONEY.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Seems to be catching, this CAPITAL malarkey:)

PentaxManiac likes this.
  17. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Many years ago now I stayed in Oban Youth Hostel -- we had a 'Family Room' Free Parking and the beach was just across the road ! We went on a trip to MULL and I took a photo on my 1950's Ensign Selfix 16/20 model 1 with 75mm f4.5 'Ensar' lens on outdated ORWO film and won a big Trophy at Brentwood Photographic Club with it -- I held a RED filter over the lens. I an evening we went to the 'Scottish Show' at the Harbour and it was great -- Bagpipe music, Scottish Dancing, Accordion music and our Kids got everyone up dancing ! I did a VIDEO of them !

View from OBAN beach opposite Youth Hostel --- 'Blue Toned' in PhotoShop 7
    [​IMG]Oban.jpg Toned by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    The Photo which won me the Trophy at Brentwood Photo Club , on ferry to Mull
    [​IMG]Lighthouse-Mull by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

18. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I had a rather wet camping holiday in Oban a couple of years back. Nothing much in the way of water level images but I did take a panorama overlooking the harbour (this copy in IR, but I did another in normal B&W too)
    [​IMG]Oban infra red panorama by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

19. John King

I was quite poorly about 2006 and had to abort my usual trip over to the continent on my Motorcycle so instead booked a week on the Isle of Mull. The weather was good but I found it difficult to settle down photographically. I came away with about 6 rolls of 120, both colour and B&W but for some reason the place never really 'clicked'. Perhaps it was because I had never been to the place before, I don't know. I may go back again sometime with a different outlook - who knows.

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member