1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now then kittens...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nicxx, Feb 10, 2003.

1. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

...an ED lens will fit my F80, non? I am a D fit as far as I'm aware, but what is ED? I know I must seem so dim, but you gotta learn somewhere...

Autofocus Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 ED lens. This fantastic Nikon lens is in mint condition, with front and rear Nikon caps. A light-weight and versatile lens with the fast aperture enabling photography in low light conditions. All Nikon owners should have one!

Highly unlikely I'll go for it, because I reckon it's too much already but 12 h to go and I should check it out so I can see what's going and how much they're getting for it. I've got myself a nice 28-70 2.8 to replace the 4.5-5.6 now I can afford it, but I now need a 80-200 2.8 and I need to know a bit more jargon.

Cheers my sweeties

ermx

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

ED is Nikon-speak for low-dispersion glass - a special kind of optical glass that can help lens designers to improve the chromatic aberrations of a lens. Usually such glass is only used for longer than standard lenses. In general an ED lens will be optically superior (and more expensive) than the equivalent non-ED lens.

Oh, and yes, it will fit your F80.

Huw Evans.
    www.huwevans.freeuk.com

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Miaow!

It'll certainly fit - I think it stands for "Extraordinary Dispersion", and is an Apochromatic lens, I believe - the equivalent of a Canon L. Top notch glass - good luck!

Nick BSRIPN

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Versatile and fast I agree, but lightweight? It's 1.2kg. But a cracking lens nevertheless.

[​IMG]

5. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Re: Miaow!

Really? Ah, maybe it's worth a stab then. I was comparing it to a standard 80-200 2.8 AF D. Generally I try no to go much more than half the price new (which would be c 770 for this) but if it's what you're describing then it sounds rather sexy. Maybe I'll stir the pot a bit.

ermx

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

AFAIK all Nikon 80-200mm/2.8's are ED. The new 70-200mm G lens with Silent Wave and VR has been reviewed by Simon Stafford over at the NOCI site. Perhaps predictably he's very impressed with it. The VR has apparently been revamped somewhat since the 80-400mm got stick from some quarters.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

7. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Ok then, may I ask, if you were really wanting one of these, how much would you be prepeared to go up to second hand, if it had no faults? I have a price in mind, but I'd be interested in other people's thoughts...

I probably won't go for it anyway, but it's always useful to know...

ermx

8. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Hmm. Could you just tell me what ED infers? D fit I understand. If ED is not a different *fit* what does it mean? I understand VR etc, what does ED stand for? Cos this is a large amount of mony to haggle over one letter...

I think I have to give this one a miss, but I need to know this for future reference...

ermx

9. TimF

Depends which version it is. The earliest one is a one-touch trombone zoom, and has no integral tripod collar. Given your gig shooting, that might not matter much. Later models have a collar, and are two-touch twist zooms.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

10. TimF

As the other guys have said, its nothing to do with the lens mount. It stands for "extra-low dispersion" and refers to some of the glass elements in the lens. It was Huw I think who said its an Apo lens in all but name.

As for "D" this is also nothing to do with the lens mount, but refers to Nikon's "D" chip (D for distance) which is a feature of most of the current AF lenses - perhaps all now that the 50/1.8 has been done at last!

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

11. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Cheers mate. Whaddya think of the pricing then? Like I said, I doubt I'll go for it cos there's only a few hours left, but in future it might be a good option...What do you think is a reasonable price to go up to?

ermx

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"I was comparing it to a standard 80-200 2.8 AF D. "

ermx,

All the Nikkor 80-200/2.8 lens have the "ED" (extra-low-dispersion) glass
    in them which should give much better colour resolution in your telephoto
    shots.

Hope this helps and hasn't already been covered/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

13. TimF

D'OH! Prolly a bit late now, but what the hell /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif In a shop, I'd guess you might expect to pay £500-600 for a nice example of the twist ring zoom version (pre AF-S of course). A little less for the trombone zoom. A private sale should be no more than 70-80% of those kinda prices.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

14. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Saw a new one in Jessops last week (can't remember the price). It's a horny looking lens but looks heavy.

[​IMG] Wilko FRIPN

15. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

It went for 420 in the end...

ermx

16. TimF

Not too far off then! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]