1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now here's something we can really get our teeth into!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've got the makings of Glamorgan sausages this weekend. Also some minced turkey burgers! So there.

2. Catriona

That's a heck of a fruit and veggie box.
    Remove the fennel and I'd say lovely!

PS What's the greyish turnip looking things at the bottom?
    PPS Ah! Beetroot?

3. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

IvorETower likes this.
  4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Reminds me of the "famous" Spitting Image sketch when Mrs T is being served her food at a big dinner event.
    Waiter/waitress dishes the meat up and asks "What about the vegetables?" to which she responds "They'll be having the same as me"

AndyTake2, John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Well I stand corrected. But if she doesn't like the toast of meat then she needn't eat meat tasting food, there are plenty of other things that aren't meat. But for all the veggies who do like the taste of meat but prefer not to eat it, then the meat free versions are great.

6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Oh dear. Yes quorn sausages aren't the best.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If you want to do things with veg, buy Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall's Much More Veg - it is the karma sutra of vegetable eating.

My dear, dear brother seems to have a thing about "Effing vegans". Works on an arable farm. Growing vegan food... Twunt.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

A bit like me today rushing round the Co-op. Grabbed this yellow bottle thinking it was english mustard, only to find when I got home, that it is mild New York style yellow deli mustard. I should have twigged when I saw it was Heinz not Colemans.

Dan S likes this.
  9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

As Baldrick would have described....."substitute mustard".

Graeme

Catriona likes this.
  10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

There is no substitute for mustard! I remember making mustard with power for my dad and he’s been dead 54 years ❤️

Catriona likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I take it, it wasn't the mustard?

12. Catriona

I remember my dad teaching me about waste and profit via mustard. (He was a banker)

Always use the mustard powder and make up your own (my job too). If you use a tube of it? You can't get it all out and what is left is the maker's profit margin. I puzzled over that for quite a while. Well, I was just a toddler.

13. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

You can't really blame the vegetarian sausage for that. ;) I try not to buy anything I don't recognise, I certainly wouldn't eat it :confused:

14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Yes, its funny how "veggie" has become some sort of derision. Often meat eaters are scornful of vegetarians but I have never quite understood why.

Zou likes this.
  15. Catriona

It's an alpha male thing. Hunter better than gatherer.

Zou, Dan S, Footloose and 1 other person like this.
  16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I would have the thought the names 'sausage', 'burger', 'nugget' etc were identifiers of the shape of the thing you were buying, much like words which differentiate between pizza adn pie. You can have a chicken pie or a vegetable pie, a cheese and onion pizza or a ham and pineapple pizza. What's on or in them doesn't change what they are.

I have made veggie burgers at home before and the idea wasn't to emulate meat in any way, but to provide a means of cooking something veggie on the bbq that worked in a similar way to what our meateaters were having. It was merely a function of shape.

EightBitTony, Dan S and Zou like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. :D

Dan S, Geren and AndyTake2 like this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have no beef with vegetarians as a rule. I do have an issue with the ones who chose to be vegetarian as it was (allegedly) healthier, but then live on over-processed products that are high in fat, high in sugar, and high in salt, as well as using ingredients that are environmentally damaging.

Dan S likes this.
  19. Catriona

Got my tin of mustard powder today. Probably also the virus from the total idiots in the shop today. Most of them young. I told one lot off near the end of an aisle. As they turned back to lurk near the bread shelves, I was glad to hear a member of staff tell them buy something and move on - or leave right now. The queue outside was huge, as was the queue for the trolley loads for a check-out. Thankfully me and my basket scooted out via the not-busy paper/booze counter.

20. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

I think it was Cairncross's "Economic Theory" that stated that Mr Colman did not make his fortune from the mustard that people ate; he made it from the mustard left on the plate.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.