1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now here's something we can really get our teeth into!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe whilst meatballs were being made, one fell on the floor and someone trod on it - resulting in the hamburger?

John Farrell likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Let's not argue but the recipe actually says Hamburgh Sausages. Beef minced small with suet and well seasoned, It also suggested "Roasted with toasted bread under it"

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing. I also stated that it was mentioned in the history of the burger on the wiki page.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It would probably taste better than many a burger I have consumed.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

That sausage has a darn sight more meat in it than most that can be bought today. It's just a pity that the minimum 'standard' for meat content in a sausage isn't based on this recipe.

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

So I read.... The word "sausage" comes from the Middle English sausige, which came from sal, Latin for salt. In France, they are sausissons and in Germany, wurst. They were originally made as a delicious way to preserve meat.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Köttbullar...............................

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It's vegetarian haggis and fish that bothers me more as it appears to have a greater environmental cost than eating the real thing.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised - Haggis is a way to use up the bits of the beast that many don't like, mixed up with some barley and a short of single malt (the latter is compulsory):p

Trying to make something akin to Haggis from scratch without the basic ingredients is going to take a fair bit of effort.

On the subject of sausages, they were a way to preserve meat and use up the bits no-one wanted (intestines etc), but the WHO seem to lump everything into the same basket and say that sausages are bad.
    They get lumped in with Bacon etc which can use different preservatives, and whilst our European neighbours may well use them in their sausages, the British Banger is (when made properly) a gorgeous thing which bears no semblance to the European offerings at all.

daft_biker likes this.
  10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I thought burger and sausage to be a presentation rather than the content to be honest - as both can vary so much. The Linda McCartney range of food puts Vegetarian in front of all the products so you should be able to tell what you are buying. I have noticed some of the products I buy (Vio-life slices and Alpro Oat drink) don't mention any dairy based equivalent in their labelling.

Zou likes this.
  11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, if that happens, I'll have to eat my Kosher pork pie hat."

12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand. The argument against calling it meat free sausage is that it is misleading to meat eaters and they might accidentally eat a vegetarian sausage... Really? Are meat eaters unable to read? I was in Iceland yesterday and a woman said to her child, "that's the meat free section, we don't need that". I really can't see the problem.

As for meat eaters being offended that vegetarians want to call a sausage shaped food a sausage, seems really weird, why does anyone care?

And the aguement that meat eaters shouldn't want veggie food to taste like meat is 1, petty and 2, missing the point. Vegetarians haven't given up meat because they don't like the taste, of course they like the taste, they just have decided that eating an animal is something they would rather not do. I fail to see why this upsets meat eaters so much.

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It doesn’t

Dan S likes this.
  14. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

'Cos it means more for us wot likes meat

Dan S, daft_biker, Gezza and 2 others like this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that I know at least one veggie who gave up meat because she didn't like the taste (or texture), you may want to reconsider that sentence.

Zou likes this.
  16. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You mean everybody isn’t the same....
    Blimey!!!

17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Got it in one

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I did once.
    In Aldi I think, getting some frozen sausages.
    Veggie ones were lumped in with the real ones.
    Didn't realsie until I cooked them. Quorn things. Yuck!
    Don't mind Quorn burgers, but these went in the bin.

I do make sure not to buy anything I don't recognise in a rush any more:confused:

ascu75 likes this.
  19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There are now far better products than Quorn.

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

3378675+ThinkstockPhotos-589415708.jpg

AndyTake2, Dan S, spinno and 4 others like this.