1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now here's something we can really get our teeth into!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Oct 21, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54618520

Can there be a veggie burger or vegan sausage? Should sausages and burgers be guaranteed to contain meat? What say you?

First off, I must say that I have eaten normal sausages before now whose connection with any kind meat was sufficiently tenuous that they should be labelled veggie anyway, but that's beside the point. Traditionally both burgers and sausages contained meat, and were produced as a way of eating meat in a convenient package, and I do find the term 'vegetarian sausage' something of an oxymoron. On the other hand, as long as it is clearly labeled as such in a manner that it is clear what it is, I don't see it's a problem worth an EU parliamentary debate.

Mind you, I think this whole vegetarian/vegan thing is terribly hypocritical, since they both contain meat, but that's a different discussion. :D

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

118626301_10159209202294880_6942022041456448896_n.jpg

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Certainly more than a teaspoonful of beans in there!

Zou likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Quite right. Personally, I prefer to follow the advice of the Bull Buggering Bishop of Bath and Wells: only eat babies raised on wholesome British beef. :p

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

As an ex butcher slaughterman I dismay the vegans/veggie brigade. Fancy going through life and not eating heart or liver or enjoying a steak. A proper sausage is a real delight. I am not sure I would want to exist if I couldn’t eat fish or a decent cheese or all of the things I take for granted as ‘normal’. Our daughters tried veggie until they smelled the bacon cooking and realised a life without bacon was a step to far.o_O And as for veggie burger or bacon veggie sausages etc why name them after a meat product? Crazy :p

neilt3 likes this.
  6. dream_police

I can't see the problem calling them by those names. That isn't the name of the meat, just like a nugget isn't.
    There are many types of sausage, with 100's of fillings no doubt, the sausage itself is not the meat. If you order a veggie burger, a vegan burger, a beyond burger, you know what you are getting, the style of food it is going to be. People say vegans etc create a fuss!

EightBitTony, Dan S and Zou like this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just wondering, should these sausages be pricked before they are cooked? o_O

spinno likes this.
  8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I suppose meat free sausage and burgers can be called sausage and burgers, just like alcohol free beer is still called beer.
    Doesn't mean any of them are worth eating or drinking though.... :(:(

Zou, daft_biker and ascu75 like this.
  9. dream_police

If you ate a Beyond Burger, you'd find it difficult to know it wasn't meat. They are completely different to what we assume veggie burgers will be like. It looks that much like meat, it actually put my vegan daughter off.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I think that Glamorgan Sausages rather knock the argument against labelling vegetarian sausages as sausages on the head, don't they? They're traditonal, and they don't contain meat.
    As to burgers, well they're not really traditional in any way.

Dan S, Zou and Catriona like this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I thought burgers were traditional American. If so then perhaps real burgers should be enhanced with unnatural hormones.

RogerMac likes this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The earliest record of a ground meat patty is actually Roman.

RogerMac and Learning like this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I must say that Richmond meat-free sausages taste a lot more meaty than their standard ones, which taste less interesting than their packaging. I would personally far sooner ban low meat content sausages and burgers than zero meat content ones, which are generally of a higher standard.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  14. dream_police

I have a book from 1758 with a recipe Hamburger sausage, which was chopped meat and served on toasted bread. According to wiki this was part of the history of the hamburger, albeit it is sausage style.

hamburger.jpg

15. dream_police

I too was quite impressed with those meat free ones.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My Mum made patties from ground meat or sausage meat. They were not called burgers.
    Presumably hamburgers are of North German origin and were named after the city..

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yep.

Which makes one wonder where the heck the town of Beefburg is... o_O

John Farrell, Zou and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

In the county of Abat Toire?

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  19. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What's going to be next, a Kosher pork pie?!

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, they're supposedly an evolution of the Swedish Meatball, which brings us neatly to a short speech by the character G'Kar in Babylon 5...