1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now a panasonic owner :) - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by JohnATR, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JohnATR

JohnATR Member

After much deliberation on what camera to buy I decided I liked the features of the G2. I of course researched and found that the GH1 had a better sensor and the GH2 had the touch screen but these were both quite expensive. After looking at some photo's from the G2 I decided it would probably meet my needs. I also thought if i had the m 4/3s lenses I could upgrade to the GH2 next year or something.

I watched ebay and think I snapped up a pretty good deal. I Now have the G2 with the standard kit Lens but also the 45-200 along with UV, polarized and ND filters and the wired remote shutter for £415 and it looks brand new, no dust even in the grip on the lens. I think this is a pretty good deal considering I was going to buy the kit with one lens for about £350.

I am fairly new to interchangable cameras but am learning fast. I have read that some older manual lenses such as the canon FD can be used with an adapter for a reasonably low price. I would like to get a short prime with large aperature for not too much money at some point. If anyone has any hints or pointers that would be good.

I also would like a fairly small camera bag to hold the camera and a couple lenses. I have seen the Domke 5-XB which looks kinda what id like but its quite expensive. If knows of anything suitable, that would be useful.

Well hopefully will get some photo's up at some point for inspection. :D

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How are you getting on with it? Much as I would really like the GH2 I can't stretch to it. As a result I am seriously considering the G2, especially after having handled all of the likely rivals for my money. I loved the touch screen focus and the controls fell easily to hand for me and also the wife, who will likely use it as much as myself. Does the image quality please you or do you have any regrets?

3. JohnATR

JohnATR Member

Thanks for your question. Im getting on well with the camera and im very pleased. I havent used it as much as id like just yet since im just finishing 4th year of uni so roll on summer for some photo practice. I find the Image quality good (better than my mums 12MP lumix compact) at ISO 100 and 200. 400 starts to get a little grainy but not bad when viewed at normal sizes, for this reason Ive set the ISO limit to 400 when in auto mode which I dont actually use much but good when handing it over to family/friends to take pictures. I also like the touch screen focus, makes it easy to choose focus point.

I got hold of a Canon FD to M4/3 adapter and then a 50mm f1.8 lens for a combined price of £30 which lets in so much more light and gives better background defocus (bokeh) I would recommend getting it if you get the camera, though of course it is manual which I find quite fun.

Take a look at some photo's Ive done so far and see what you think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstoddard/

4. MP Burke

MP Burke New Member

There are many examples taken with legacy lenses (including my Pentax macro) on the micro four thirds forum site (google for mu 43 forum), and they recently published an article on use of adapted lenses.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I kicked a D300 into touch after seeing what the GF1 could do, if that's an indication.

And that was after comparing A3 prints side by side. Another advantage, the back's a lot better.

Re third party lenses, no, buy the dedicated ones and stop fiddling about .

Whilst on the subject of lenses, the 20mm is an absolute must.

6. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

I have used a Voigtlander Skopar 21mm and Nokton 50mm f1.5 plus several manual SLR lenses on a Lumix G1. They were/are all a total fiddle: slow and pretty imprecise to focus and meter, no image stabilization, big and clunky in some cases - and mostly requiring 6 fingers or a thrid hand to use satisfactorily. Some such lenses produced exceptionally good images (in terms of sharpness - especially the Nokton), though a few revealed very significant image softening by f8~11 and onwards.

The focal length doubling that is inherrent when using 35mm format lenses is great for telephoto use (limited by the problems in focussing manually), but the lack of stabilization is an issue. Similarly, using 'normal' and wideangle 35mm format lenses offers no practical, real-world advantages over the 14-42mm kit lens.

"Your mileage may vary" of course.

7. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

well you did ask; ditch it in P/X for a nice Autocord, and be driven by the camera's strengths in black and white. It will force you to become a fine art photographer, eventually, if you can't manage the sideways viewfinder motion, get an Ikonta folder preferably 6 x 9 cm negs which can be flat bed scanned on an Epson VF 750.

Serves you right for asking, but good luck with your choice as is of course.

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

That's a load of tosh, utter rubbish..............................................Oh it was meant as a joke. Right.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  9. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

Point of interest, I'd never ever critique anyone's choice of anything, specially emotional stuff like cams, hi-fi, motorbikes, dogs, well you know the drift. I am first to applaud the eccentric and first to see that if you love what you got, it'll work better with you, never mind we all have different budgets. On this site's topic, the important bit is to get out and take.
    ps I realise the ancient kit 'joke' was contrived and laboured, I'll try and do better. As it happens I have a Leica D3 (oldish now) which is, as you know, a badged Panasonic, nuff said

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just flag your jokes up with smilies - won't make 'em any funnier, but at least everyone will know. ;)

11. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

willco (never used a 'smileycon' before, quite like the idea now, but it seems to pop up to the title - what am I doing wrong? {dumbo}:cool: no, no, its all right, sorted)

12. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

Had a look thanks; by George you have a nice style with (most of your) architecture but for me, the geese group is tops, that really works

13. philjay

philjay New Member

I have been using a Lumix DMC FZ20 for some years and have been very satisfied with the picture quality in particular the sharpness and this from a 5Mp sensor. I decided this week on impulse to buy a cheap 12Mp Panasonic pocketable camera for times when the bulk of the other is inconvenient. Got it home and charged the battery and took some test pics. I was bitterly disappointed by the lack of clear definition at any point of any picture so I took it back and got a refund.
    Clearly pixel count is much less important than lens performance. My sister recently bought a Samsung 12Mp camera which looked pretty much the same but that produced well defined images. Is this just the luck of the draw or are consumers the quality controllers now?
    Philjay