1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novel idea of justice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Apr 7, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43680969

Zuckerberg: "What I think people should hold us accountable for is if we are learning from our mistakes."

How many criminals are judged using this principle?

And even if we accept that how, does this square with a desire to help improve things?

Nice to see him step up

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Serves to remind me what Honore de Balzac wrote: "Behind every great fortune there lies a great crime."

Mark101, Roger Hicks and Zou like this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My wife is a facebook user and she downloaded all the information that FB have and hold from her, details of the ads that have targeted her, and the ads that have her information as well as every single message that she has sent to someone. Of the stuff that they hold is that of all of her contacts including my details (and I am not a FB user) Even if she asked for her stuff to be removed, it will still feature elsewhere because we all feature in other peoples contact lists.
    I have no idea what her privacy settings were, but she is convinced they were high.

4. willie45

Also this

Not surprising really, but ...

5. willie45

6. willie45

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

....and of course The Wail knows all about publishing photos which breach 'celebrities' privacy......................

Lynn

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'll take your word for it....was just the first link I found in a search. Think it was a metro article on it I saw in the news app on my phone a few days back.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

If FB knows my settings and preferences how comes it sends me ads for incontience products and suggests I join a support group for carers of people with tracheostomies?

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Your Alexa machine can smell the wee maybe?:)

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

But it's been doing that long since before I got Alexa and I have no idea why it seems to think I'd like to join a group of people who care for people with tracheostomies

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Start talking about how you would like free samples of things, test drives in Aston Martins etc, and see if it changes:D

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My Facebook targeted advertising consists primarily of adverts for cameras (both new and second-hand) and for other photographic-related services. I don't really object to the targeted adverts that I see. I did have cause to post a comment on Facebook yesterday to the effect that if FB finds reason to sell the personal information that I've been daft enough to post online then I'm not going to whine about it - but went on to have a little complain about their summary of my March postings in which they'd re-cropped my photographs! I was quite annoyed about that.

Cheers, Jeff

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Surely Facebook, Google etc, could keep the actual data to themselves and distributes the advertising on behalf of the advertiser, so that the advertiser, doesn't actually 'see' who the recipients of their adverting is? That way, unless I, the recipient, actually replies to their advert, they don't get to see my data.

Maybe that is how things are supposed to work, but presumably, isn't?

Some may well argue that off the back of the system I'm proposing, a monopoly could/would be formed by the companies holding the data because other companies can't directly access it?

16. willie45

I've got loads of data FB holds of mine because my wife posts on it and all her contacts etc were shared. And for either of these to pretend people who used their services voluntary gave them data and knew the risks is disingenuous and obnoxious. I doubt many 16 year olds thought it through or read the small print when most adults didn't know to do that either. They're conmen in my book.

dream_police likes this.
  17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My favourite thing about Facebook are those silly things that come up saying 'Find Your Stripper Name' and suggesting it should be made up of the first pet you owned followed by your mother's maiden name...or the town you were born in followed by your favourite colour. I read with delight as person after person regales us with the answers to their bank's security questions...

Cheers, Jeff

Craig20264 likes this.
  18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I don't quite know how to put this, but I have a terrible confession to make . . . . .
    I've never had a Facebook or Twitter account....Oh, the shame of it!

Trannifan likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Me neither. We'll have to form Facetwitless Anonymous (FA)

Trannifan likes this.
  20. willie45

I don't know. Brontosaurus McGonigle isn't doing it much for me :)