1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not for the first time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, May 11, 2021.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

There's a difference between giving essential data to known bodies and a proliferation of data to be used by anyone.
    There's also a difference between anonymity and privacy.

steveandthedogs, WillieJ and Zou like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yay! Paranoia rules...

...but don't tell anyone!

3. Catriona

I'll just tell them you've got it wrong again - Rsoles rule. We all know that.

4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

FWIW
    a) I have no objection to ID cards inprinciple though I am completely opposed to the electronic Big Brother security disaster waiting to happen overkill that Teressa (impotent wannabe control freak) May wanted to implement.
    b) Cannot remember the grim details but the only reason I have a picture driving licence is that I needed a Passport in order to get HMRC to acknowlege my existance in the persona of someone due a rebate and could not get a passport without first getting said photo licence. Might be something to do with utility bills being Maggy's remit.
    c) The photo driving licence has proved usefull for such essential tasks as persuading an Amazon delivery driver to relax his vice like grip on a bottle of Cava. A flippant example only.

Basically we increasingly need an officially recognised way of "proving" that we are who we say we are in addition to for important agencies (e.g. HMRC) and unimportant ones (e.g. deliverers of mail order booze) to know we are who they are looking for. To my mind, the sensible way to achieve this is to be like "normal" European countries and have basic (non Big Brother) ID cards which should be available FOC. I do not remember being asked to pay for my NI number.
    Told you I could make an argument for ID cards John.

Learning likes this.
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As far as I can see, there are two basic sorts of ID card.

There's the sort that is linked with a back-end database, allowing every check of your ID to be logged, giving whatever government we have the ability to track everyone. And to share the data with whoever they like - or sell it. Not to mention the ability of hackers to break into it (data security on a government system?) and delete/change its contents.

Or there's the standalone card, maybe with some biometric info. I give it a month before they are being forged by assorted ne'er-do-wells.

Nope. not in favour at the moment.

Currently, my only photo ID is my senior citizens buss pass - for which I had to produce the usual utility bill and birth certificate. That should be adequate.

Catriona likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise.

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Not having a passport or a drivers licence has caused me a few problems over the years. The strangest one was an agency who accepted my NUS card as ID because I have a photo on it!

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

I had quite some time inn the RAF with an ID card which allowed me into restricted areas. I didn't think anything of it (I worked in a Missile Squadron) and it was fun when the call went out there was a stranger on site! Needs must. I think my reservations now are that it is the thin end of the wedge. Not being a smartphoner, I can see me having problems if I stray onto the mainland again, let alone go abroad.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I gained access to CDE Porton Down on the strength of a Thomas the Tank Engine party invite. Why all of a sudden the forms of ID that have allowed me to open bank accounts, borrow money, book hotels, hire cars, vans, and hgvs, claim benefits, get CRB clearance, etc. has become unsuitable is a mystery.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  10. Catriona

Partition?

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Oooh get her:p

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Having put some thought to this, I am starting to think it is perhaps a smart move to have some sort of voter ID, with the objective not of stopping voter fraud, but of stopping candidate fraud. Such a picture ID would definitely make elections more secure.

When you consider the ludicrous situation created by the Republicans in Arizona, and the way Trump and his cohorts are essentially destroying US democracy, anything that makes an election more secure is definitely a good thing. I think it quite possible that Boris has this in mind as much as any other motives.

For more on Arizona:- https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57089359