1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not for the first time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, May 11, 2021.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe Boris and John Major hated the idea of missing out on the deals cold-callers might offer him? :rolleyes:o_O

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Jack FM are running a "six degrees of separation" thing at the mo in the morning where they try to track down someone through Jim Rosenthal's contact list. They called David Coulthard's mobile on air this morning, got an answerphone message (in French), rapidly followed by a Francophone caller suggesting that they be careful if they try again as they'd just broadcast DC's number - if you could listen in French!

3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Voter fraud... there was six cases in the last election according to Spamcock:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/matt-hancock-voter-fraud-photo-id-b1845363.html

Or if you look at the Electoral Commission's website they "595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. Of these, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution."

https://www.electoralcommission.org...lectoral-fraud-data/2019-electoral-fraud-data

Hardly high level crime...

WillieJ likes this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you actually look at those 6 cases, you'll see that even that's a vast overstatement of this particular issue. In actual fact, 3 of them are cases of false information on nomination forms, nothing to do with voter fraud per se, and one was for tampering with a ballot box. Which leaves a grand total of 2 cases of voter fraud - one by someone claiming to be his own father because he wasn't himself on the electoral register, the other voting twice, once under his own name, once under his son's name. 2 cases.
    On the other hand, it has been estimated that 47% of young black voters don't have a driving licence or passport. Anyone who thinks this isn't a blatantly racist attempt at voter suppression is beyond stupid. Anyone that thinks this is a reasonable thing to do is beyond words.

Zou, Fen, WillieJ and 4 others like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No one has ever asked me for photo ID before they take my taxes.

Zou, Geren, WillieJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, (considering I can see no chance of getting the wife on a boat or a plane) the only reason I shelled out for a passport after doing without for years was that the Government refused to recognise my existance in relation to a tax rebate I was owed as I "could not prove who I was". Picture driving licence not enough.

Nor was the citizen's card (mainly used by 18/19 year olds to get into bars but which are cheap, quick to obtain and (certainly at that time) let you on to inernal flights without a current passport or picture driving licence. :)

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It's just a copy of the process the Republicans are using in several of the states in the States - voter ID using a form of ID that it's difficult for certain classes of people (ie the ones who don't vote Republican) to get.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is one of those discussions where those who are against will always be against and those who aren't bothered will never be bothered.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would have thought that the main risk was not personation but the abuse of the postal vote.
    The Tower Hamlets scandal comes to mind.

10. Learning

Have you tried looking at world news lately? UK isn't a bad place to be by comparison to most countries.

11. WillieJ

If you require ID to vote but do not make said ID available to those who do not already possess it free of charge then you are imposing a tax on voting.

Zou, steveandthedogs and Fen like this.
  12. Learning

You make a good case for id cards.

13. WillieJ

No. I no doubt could but nevertheless did not.

14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

"not a bad place to be by comparison to most countries" = "a Utopia" ?

Maybe I need a new dictionary. o_O :confused:

Zou, steveandthedogs and Geren like this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen any Unicorns...you'd think with everybody being locked up, sorry, on lockdown and shielding that the unicorns would have taken advantage of the peace and quiet and they'd be over-running the place

16. Footloose

When I went in for my jabs, I was asked what my NHS/Hospital No was, rather than National Insurance no. One would have thought that links exist between these two, as when you change your GP, the former number is what they require, but maybe I'm wrong? Having visited hospitals a fair bit, this wasn't that difficult to track down.

17. Footloose

The Unicorns weren't but the sheep certainly were roaming around in Wales. ...

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The UK looks pretty rough from where I am...

AndyTake2, Zou, peterba and 2 others like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Never believe anything you read. There was a time when all news was lies but now it has progressed to damned lies. :(

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

but where are the statistics?