1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not for the first time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, May 11, 2021.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Don't think there has been widespread voter fraud but there must have been some. Despite it probably not being a problem, it has always amazed me that we can go and vote without any ID at all and not even needing your voting card in hand, all they want is your name and address. It does seem very lax.

Geren and peterba like this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Aah so the intrusiveness and competence of the Government means that this is now a really good idea

peterba and Catriona like this.
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Never mind the past. For the future I believe that we need to know who is in the country and what are the rights of those people.
    I believe that the records of births and deaths, the database of NHS numbers, the records of NI records, the database of passports,and the database of driving licences should all be reconciled to provide a record of people who are here. Every citizen should get a free combined passport cum identity document. A second data base could be kept of visitors who are counted in and counted out. Photos and DNA records of all people, citizens, residents and visitors could be part of the databases. I would be very generous in deciding residency rights of people who are already here.
    The Windrush scandal should not have happened. That was the result of years of incompetence by the home office which did not keep records, and an attempt to cover-up that incompetence.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What is this country? A jail?
    Be pragmatic. Crime will always be with us and from folk born and bred here. There will always be folk you don't like and ones you do. All your fellow Brits. Your life is what you make it, not someone else.

beatnik69 and ascu75 like this.
  6. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Congratulations, thread drift as an artform.:D

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We had no end of trouble because we lacked photo-id. A paper driving licence and expired passport just don’t work. If you need a passport to prove who you are then why not an [cheaper] id-card. What were we doing? Revising our wills, with the same solicitor who drew up, and held originals of, the old ones.

Learning likes this.
  8. Learning

No. Not a jail. A utopia that needs to be preserved. I have never stated that people should be prevented leaving Britain. Even in the middle of a pandemic people should be allowed to leave. But if they want to come back then they had better be prepared to follow the rules. Australian rules no less. Let's learn from our Commonwealth cousins.
    On the point about criminality you are completely correct. Most criminals are home bred.
    Thanks Willie. I am flattered. I had never thought of pragmatism as an art-form before.

9. Learning

I have been slow off the mark Catriona. What do you mean by "this country"? Wales, Scotland, England, or Britain. (in reverse alpha order.) Surely not UK.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Unusually, I agree with Learning about this.

I see nothing wrong with people being required to prove their identities in some cases. During much of my working life I had to carry photo ID and show it. I'd be happy if credit and debit cards also required a picture of the user, just as driving licences do already.

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Beats me why people are happy to put every minute of their lives onto a mobile phone plus exact location of where they are and where they've been, but ask them to carry a bit of plastic with their name and mugshot on it and it's an invasion of privacy.

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ask Boris.

WillieJ likes this.
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

By any chance do you have his number?

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apparently you can Google it as it was on a press release from years back. That was genuinely offered as proof that Dyson man didn't have preferential access. :confused:

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was announced that he changed his number, after keeping the same one for years.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Double bluff, obviously.

17. Learning

If one changes one's phone number can one prevent anyone else getting the old one? It could be rather good fun if Jon Culshaw got Boris's old number.

18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

When negotiating a contract with a UK Cellco in the late 1990s the confidentiality terms for our on-site staff and contractors were rather more robust than normal. Turned a contractor had once published John Major's mobile number on the net. At least Major had the sense not to publish it himself.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sorry, what?

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You beat me to it! When I read that post, I began to wonder whether I had inadvertently taken some sort of mind-bending drug. :confused:

The only other plausible explanation for Learning having written that, would be that he must have taken something. :D