1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOT for ebay sellers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have had a bit of trouble from a buyer s you may know.

Whilst I am no one fool I wanted to check the law and called the consumer legal advice line NOT CAB they have a legal advice line.

A very amazing 20 minutes later.

1. If you are a PRIVATE seller and an item is bought from you by a "business" even if just on Ebay as a business then under UK consumer law regardless of how the item is described as long as it is not sold/described falsely then the buyer has NO right to a refund and NO right to return the goods despite what Ebay say.

1.a When a Trader buys from a private seller the private seller has absolutely NO responsibility towards the buyer whatsoever under UK consumer law.

2. At ALL times the burden of proof lies with the BUYER

3. If the buyer is a business as for a copy of their complaints procedure and an alternative resolution scheme they employ.

4. If Ebay refund the seller and the goods are returned in ANY condition other than as bought, of which you have photographs (by the way this all applies in life NOT just Ebay) then they have placed the buyer in a position of betterment, and you can sue the buyer, if on any benefits this will be free to you, and I have done it before.

This comes directly from a lawyer at the Consumer end of the CAB.

Therefore if you are told to refund a problem buyer you DON'T have to, however remember as a BUYER you could hit this problem beware :) :) :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    neilt3 likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting, thank you.

3. Stephen Rundle

Do not be dictated to by Ebay

4. Stephen Rundle

Well that is a turnup here is what i have received from the buyer after sending a legally worded letter

New message from: an ebay user

I have closed the case, not worth the stress you are causing me. You have made this buying experience very unpleasant.

I will contact ebay and let them know what you are doing to customers.

Thank you,
    Kyle

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
    neilt3 likes this.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well it's all very well saying that, but you are bound by their terms and conditions, which does impose more requirements than the law does. You would have to prove that they are unfair contract terms to avoid being held to them, and that might be expensive, at least. Just because the law doesn't require some measures doesn't mean that ebay can't enforce them under their own terms and conditions.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you should be posting his username with it's hyperlink to his EBay profile.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not sure you should have quoted it, either. ;)

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You are right. Mended.:)

9. Stephen Rundle

Bum MY FAULT I just copied and pasted his comments I should have removed that idiot I am totally my fault

10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Glad it’s over for you. Probably take eBay three moths to act.

11. Stephen Rundle

Please learn from my misfortune

12. Stephen Rundle

It is ME it has to be

I listed SIX gopro cameras on ebay and someone bought them, I was selling these also for the deposit on the Motability car for my son.

He has now changed his mind before paying.

6 cameras, £100 of accessories, batteries, a screen, for £120

I have had it :( what am I doing wrong as a person....................... :( :( :(

Attached Files:

• hhh.jpg
      hhh.jpg
      File size:
      101.1 KB
      Views:
  13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

More likely he's upset because he's been caught out trying to pull a fast one , and now realise your not just going to roll over and give him the money after he's either bust the camera or knicked the shutter out of it .
    Stuff 'em . ;)

Edit ; I still don't get how eBay can side with someone who says the faulty camera he bought was as discribed and was actually faulty , so it was mis-sold .o_O

14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Hmm, I’m not convinced Stephen.
    eBay are not regulated, I suspect they have the power to force PayPal to do as they wish. As I posted on another thread I was scammed by a eBay seller for £1050.
    The police and Royal Mail fraud are both now involved. eBay issued a refund...not yet cleared.

my days of eBaying are over
    What I will do with 9 dslrs, 27 canon lenses and god knows how many flash guns is anyone’s guess!! But I know this, they will not go on eBay. They can sit unused.
    Never again.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No worries, I removed it just to be safe,

daft_biker likes this.
  16. Stephen Rundle

AND thanks to you for your help and advice on things I would never have heard of

He did leave negative feedback saying "avoid this seller, threatened to sue me over a legit return"

Now removed by ebay

Again I hope this is a lesson for all here do not get pushed about

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

If you want to move on some gear use either Ffordes or LCE .
    Most of the stuff I've wanted to move on I've used at the LCE in town to swap for either another lens or camera .
    Both places sell on commission .

18. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

thanks for the heads up, but if I can solve the storage dilemma I’ll probably not let go of anything. Besides the latest acquisition ( canon 100-400ii) it’s all paid for. The 100-400 will be paid for end of next month ( PayPal 4mth 0% ). I just don’t need the headache of bartering my price with dealers, I’d sooner just keep hold of it.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't! You have ben selling things that are relatively popular and they attract a lot of people, the more you attract the more likely to get someone who messes you about. It certainly is NOT you.
    You are doing nothing wrong. As far as I can see all you are doing is advertising items at a fair price and, from what you have said, honestly. I don't know what you could do differently but Stephen, it is NOT you.