1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dave introduced me to haggis, I am not sure which one of us was the most surprised when I fell in love with it! I have to make a special trip to the "proper" butcher in Blackheath for mine soon

Zou and Catriona like this.
  2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A lot of the jellied eels sold in London come from Lough Neagh, up my neck of the woods.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's all those bloomin bones that got me.

4. LesleySM

A few years ago my cousin graduated and his mum held a big party and laid on an enormous spread

Within 10 minutes people were asking if I was on a diet or ill.....

The centrepiece as my cousin loves them was a 10 litre bucket of jellied eels. I could not go within 10 feet of the food!

Catriona likes this.
  5. LesleySM

Payday tomorrow- okay with all the bills I have to pay it means I will enjoy myself tomorrow then go back to being poor for the rest of the month my debts will start going right down from next month and I am confident most of them will be gone by May and I should get a pay rise in April. I am fairly confident that by the middle of the year I am going to be sufficiently straight to start considering the loan option but may well be in a position to tell the bank to forget about it as my overdraft will start going down but I may consider it to get the flat decorated at last! I know people say why spend money when I don't own the place but I really want to get a shower cubicle fitted, I don't use the bath and that would give me some extra storage space, like anyone in a small flat I am just a bit obsessional about storage space also as I plan to stay here when I get older a shower cubicle is future proofing. The rent here is too damn reasonable for me to want to move!

Job hunting also continues I have an interview Wednesday afternoon for a promotion

6. LesleySM

Payday again

Hooray a small debt got paid off but then my washing machine sprung a leak so i had to pay for an engineer to come and sort it out so skint again but it is a short month so hopefully I can get by if I am careful and nothing else unexpected comes on..

Yes just waiting for something else unexpected to come up...

Still for now I have food, more importantly this months bulk buy from Amazon of cat food is in, all my bills are paid for the month (apart form my council tax as that won't come out until tomorrow but the money is there to cover it) so another tight month should see me okay-ish then things really start to move financially and should massively improve over the next couple of months

Slowly coming round to dealing with Dave's ashes just wondering-I have a huge vase I got ages ago that is sorta urn shaped and I look at the dimensions of some urns suitable for the ashes and it's bigger. I am just wondering if I asked the undertakers would it be okay to bring my own urn and have them do the transfer?

Call it weird I don't even know what ashes look like nor do i particularly want to see them

7. AndyMulhearn

AndyMulhearn Well-Known Member

Is your council tax not taken 10 months out of 12 like mine is?

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It would be a poor undertaker that wouldn’t do whatever you wanted with them.... it’s entirely your choice, people, have done the most incredible things with them. We have three cats and a mother in law on the bookshelves at the moment.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Three cats and a mother-in-law .... sounds like the title of a good film

10. LesleySM

That used to be automatic with my council but when I took over the council tax bill they made it 12 months and it's swings and roundabouts to me. Yes right now I'd like to be in the 2 months when the council tax bill is zero but then paying it every month means it's less every month and I know people who pay by direct debit (as I do) in my borough who end up having it still taken out when it's not supposed to come out then find as usual whilst the council are quick to jump on you if you are a nanosecond late giving them money when it comes to them giving you money back....

11. LesleySM

Or a farce

John Farrell and Done_rundleCams like this.
  12. LesleySM

Council tax....As I say that is the last direct debit to come out so Tuesday night I checked my bank balance to make sure it had been paid and also to check how much I had left to last (at least until the middle of the month when I can borrow off my friend if needs be and it usually does) I knew I'd been good so had a rough idea of what I had.......................

I nearly died of shock! My balance was a lot better than I thought.

And my council tax had been paid but it was only £4!

Checked the next morning, back the year before last when I got into some hassles with my council tax I set up a direct debit that had extra for the arrears. Then I got some overtime so I paid the arrears off at the Pay Point but for some reason the council did not amend my direct debit to reflect I'd paid all I owed. I did think last April (I didn't get a bill) that going from £67 to £85 was a bit extreme and I was going to check with them but didn't probably because getting through on the phone is an endurance sport! But it turns out I'd been seriously over paying, got my new bill Thursday and next month I pay £3.70 less than I paid last April and after that I am paying £8.53 a month less than I have been paying (okay in the same post I got a notification my rent could be going up 3% so it cancels it out if that does happen because I am on a Registered Fair Rent tenancy it is slightly more complicated, there's a maximum figure they can put my rent up every 2 years and it is less than 3% of what I am paying)

So I have a few quid extra this month, which for a few days is a nice feeling, I didn't go mad but things like being able to buy a couple of extra boxes of tights (£2.50 a box and I needed some as for the last few weeks I have had to wear trousers and long skirts to work to hide the holes in the ones I had) and nabbing some special offers on a favourite shower cream and stocking up the freezer a bit) was nice and yes, I did have a couple in the Bells but only a couple

It's just nice to get a break from the penny pinching for a day or so

13. LesleySM

FB just reminded me that today is the last day Dave was in the house......We went to A&E about this time and well....I came home alone but never expected it to be a permanent state of affairs.

Money wise I suppose the lock down is doing me some favours i have shed a load of debts this month but of course I don't see the benefit until payday this month so right now I am scrimping but I've got very used to that (my "treat" for the weekend is a big bar of salted caramel Galaxy, I look at it and think "that could do me 3-4 days just a little everyday" but we all know come tomorrow I will feel rather guilty when i spot the empty wrapper in the waste paper basket) seem to be managing somehow and come next payday I can loosen the reins a little (except of course right now the question is "On what?")

ascu75 likes this.
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It was sad then. It is thousands of times more sad now that thousands of people throughout the world are experiencing the same sadness every day due to the pandemic.

RovingMike and John Farrell like this.
  15. LesleySM

Well made it to the four-year mark. Doing okay today, will have a beer or 30 (got tomorrow off work so I can) for Dave tonight

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Lesley, looks like you are in luck as he covers E2, E5, E8 and E9!

18. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Hope you made it through without too much bad emotion, Lesley.

John Farrell likes this.
  19. LesleySM

Just a bit of a bugger I'm in E3 then!

20. LesleySM

I had a few beers for both of us well as he couldn't drink his share I had to be a shame to waste it after all! And played some of his favourite Zappa tracks, it wasn't bad. Got a bit drunk, had a little cry then pulled out some photos of us and remembered the good times, It was okay in the end

Learning and RovingMike like this.