1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not About Much For a good Few weeks from now

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 4, 2016.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have the flu Lesley

I hope you feel better soon

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am a little better today, well I managed a walk to the Bells (just for a change of scene I was on the water) for an hour or so but that has tired me right out

I wouldn't mind but I had a 24-hour window when I was supposed to be running a game and going for an interview so it could not have picked a worse time to strike!

Financial necessity means I am on the wagon right now so far I have had a problem with the water supply and gone down with this bug! And I think the amp on my hi-fi is on the blink

Sobriety does not appear to have many attractions right now!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Always the problem - how long can you handle being ill before you get cabin fever? I have gone out once or twice and made it worse - especially once in the Lakes where I was so sick of being sick that I dragged myself over a (not that big) hill, to be greeted at the top by hail that was coming UP the hill with the wind to assault me!

Zou likes this.
  4. LesleySM

I just can't stay indoors all the time. Dave was the opposite if there was no reason to go out he wouldn't bother when we had some skint years at one point he didn't leave the house for 18 months!

5. LesleySM

I have found a new title for my state although it's not new but rather old.

There's a little monument in Whitfield Street Gardens just round the corner from my new office, it's a very pleasant place (or will be once the weather gets warmer) to sit and have lunch (and "Gig's" one of the best chip shops in London is next to it) apart from anything else it's somewhere Dave and me used to sit about a lot back when I worked on Gower Street (usually eating chips from the aforementioned chippy- I notice the Greek restaurant attached to it still does sheftalia that used to be our big treat when we were flush I plan to celebrate when I get straighter by having my first proper sit down meal in a restaurant since before Dave died in there)

Anyway never paid the monument much attention but today I stopped and read it. It is in memory of John Proctor of 9 Tottenham Court Road who died in 1870 something aged 74 years.

And underneath that wording in much smaller letters it reads

"Also Mary,
    Relict of the above"

She died 4 years after him aged 77 so I assume "relict" is an old word for "widow"

I don't like the word "widow" but I think I very much refer it to "Relict"

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm quite relaxed about punctuation, but I think in this instance I think a comma or two may be required just in case they're the litigious sort. :)

LesleySM and beatnik69 like this.
  7. LesleySM

Whoops!

MJB likes this.
  8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Relict:

I loved the sound of the word so looked it up. Opinions seem to differ but the one I like best ties the word to the dead partner. In other words you can't say Jane doe - relict. Although you could say Jane Doe - widow. In the former case you need Jane Doe - relict of John Doe. I suppose you could also say Jane Doe wife of John Bull and relict of John Doe.

I have no idea if that's actually right but I hope that it is (and it's much more interesting than the other, and more common, meaning of relict - in fact I reckon I'm a relict in the other sense) .

Thanks for the word. I shall play with it for days now.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I was quite familiar with the word relict. It is non-specific as to the wife or husband and can be used to describe the husband or wife of the dead spouse. Like a lot of words, it is in use in Scottish Law still.
    I think (but I could be wrong) it is relevant in inheritance allocation, being first in the queue.

10. Catriona

I had to look up sheftalia to see what that was, Lesley. Sounds delicious.
    It reminded me of proper faggots which I remember having real ones when in London and I know they were wrapped in caul, just as your sheftalia.

Isn't it strange how old, cheap food eaten by the poor are still available and nearly as delicious.

11. LesleySM

I love faggots! But decent ones are hard to come by so I have not had them in ages. Used to a café/takeaway down Chrisp Street Market in Poplar that did them and even though it is a 15 minute each way bus trip down there I often went and got some for us on a Saturday morning, they also did proper saveloys, home made pease pudding and there was a proper pie and mash shop down there. I love traditional Cockney cuisine apart from jellied eels

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Oh we are the same! I draw the line at jellied eels too, but love all the rest.

13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Make your own Faggots

Learning likes this.
  14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I LOVE faggots (even the Brain's ones that maybe are still available). However SWMBO banned them a very long time ago on the grounds that they should be called cholesterol pudding.

As an aside we watched an old Rumpole last night (origin of SWMBO for younger members who maybe don't know). It was still enjoyable but remarkably unsubtle by modern standards.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Last time I tried Brains (now MR Brains) faggots, they were manky horrible things - all breadcrumbs and bugger all else.

I think they added the Mr bit after the BSE problems - let's all go eat a coo beastie's brains:eek:

16. Catriona

Ha!
    Well it's coming up to haggis time, so it will be lamb bits and bobs and oatmeal for me. :)

Zou likes this.
  17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

An' there was me thinkin' it went all the way back to H. Ryder Haggard in 1886! :D

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Love a bit of haggis.
    We were up in the Highlands last September but were unable to find any wild ones, even with our highly trained haggis hunting dog. We had to put up with some bought stuff instead.:D

Catriona likes this.
  19. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Well you live and learn - thanks. Dare I suggest that Rumpole 'popularised' it.

MickLL

20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Probably a bit more than that, as I think it was the first time it was applied to a wife, rather than a demi-goddess - I followed Rumpole, too, back in the day, and in my youth was a follower of all that was H.R.H., so probably got more out of the reference than others.